Thread: Converter Noise
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
nemo45

Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Default Re: Converter Noise

Here's what happened to me. We had a storm and a power spike while camping at a campground in northern WI. The next night while laying in bed we heard a humming noise and smelled smoke coming from under the bed. It was from the converter. We had moved to our home campground and had rolled up and unrolled our electric cord to do this. What had happened during the spike was the contact for the common in the drum for the electric cord got fried and would not allow the contact to touch the copper strip to the common on the drum. So it dropped the common. When this happened you get 220V going to anything that is on. Consequently, the starter capacitor for the rear a/c, the converter and the inverter all got fried. These were all on when the power spike occurred. MY remedy was to remove the power drum and replace it with a junction box. It may be a little more inconvenient to have to roll up the electric cord by hand, but I'll never have to worry about this happening again. Because it was caused by a power spike my insurance paid for the replacement of all of those components less my deductible. I replaced the inverter and converter myself so the insurance company paid me for that, taking care of the deductible. Something like this may have happened to you.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote