View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
AmeriLite21

Default Re: Attaching a cargo carrier to rear 4x4 bumper

Okay, today I mounted the bumper mount receiver and the cargo carrier on the rear bumper of the trailer. Had to mount the receiver a little to the left of center on the bumper. The spare tire is mounted too low to get the receiver in the middle, but that is okay as it makes more room on the right end of the bumper for fully opening the water heater cover. I mounted the receiver on top of the bumper to get more ground clearance under the cargo carrier. Had to shim around the bar on the cargo carrier as it was a loose fit in the receiver. I cut a piece from a plastic milk carton and folded it around the bar. Now it is a tighter fit with very little play. I cut two pieces from a 4X4 and notched them to fit around the rear legs of the step unit to nest in on the carrier. It all worked out very nicely. Can't wait to take our next camping trip to take advantage of this modification. It will make it a lot easier to set up the steps at the campground. No more removing the bolts and folding and unfolding the step platform and lifting it into the back of the 4X4 Ram. Only have to lift it 2 ft instead of 4 f t. I'll just add about 10 gallon of water in the front mounted water tank to counter the weight on the rear of the trailer.
'01 Dodge RAM 1500 4X4 O/R Quad Cab SLT
AmeriLite21 is offline   Reply With Quote