View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #9
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinPilot View Post
Howdy to all!

I've got my sights set on a 1991 Gulfstream Friendship with the 8.3 Cummings and Allison automatic. To set the stage here, seller is asking $6500, and it has 101k miles. Cosmetically its pretty clean inside and out, but the paint is fading.

I have a few questions:

1. 4 or 5 speed? The owner says its a five speed, but all I can find reference to being available in 1991 is a four speed transmission. Does anyone know for sure which it should have?

2. The 8.3 C Cummins is only 240hp. Would I be able to add an injector plate to increase the HP, or turn up the turbo a few pounds? (If I do this, I know I need to monitor exhaust temps.) Seems I read in '91 they didn't come with the Bosch fuel pump, which is required to do the injector plate upgrade?

3. This floorplan has the wetbar in the kitchen area. (At first I thought the kitchen had two sinks - LOL). It has an icemaker below. Any thoughts on this setup vs. just having cabinets in that location, as most seem to?

4. The front window is cracked. It appears the front window is in two sections? What should I budget to replace this? I would accept a used window if available.

5. The diesel genset has 7000 hours on it, which seems like A LOT to me. It cranks and trys to start but never does. Owner said it worked last year. He thinks it just needs a fuel filter, but I have my doubts. Comments? Suggestions?

6. Dash air not working - seems like it never does on these older coaches.

7. Has new tires with less than 60 miles ($2200 he claims).

I'm free to test drive it over to a nearby RV park so we can hook up shore power and test some systems. He doesn't have the right connection at his home.

Any and all feedback is appreciated! Thank you!!!
101K miles on a diesel engine is nothing. Those engines are good for 3-4 hundred thousand miles before they need an overhaul. The price is real low, actually you can not even buy a used Cummins engine that size for that price. So if the body is clean and taken care off, I would say it is a great deal. Some people take good care of their coaches. I know because my coach now is seventeen years old and it is still like new.

The generator does sound like a fuel issue, probably filters, but obviously it has been running a lot I guess they used to dry camp a lot. I am assuming again that it is a diesel engine on the generator and those also last a long time with care. Oil changes is where the life of an engine is critical. See if the previous owner had any kind of records showing his up keep. Take it out for a test drive and you can tell if there are any problems.

Gulf Stream Friendship at one time was the flagship of Gulf Stream. They would change every so many years and make either TourMaster or Scenic Cruiser their top of the line. They were coaches that were built better then the other coaches built by Gulf Stream.

Good luck!
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote