View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 02:16 PM   #3
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinPilot View Post
Hello to all! I just joined today because I'm looking at a 1991 Gulfstream Friendship 38' with the 8.3 diesel. I'm hoping to gain some insights about what to look for when I go see and test-drive it. If I buy it, this will be my go-to forum!

It is hard to tell you or give you advise on the coach. Diesel engines do last three times longer in life then gasoline engines, but again it depends on the maintenance it has had. Check it out real good, test drive it to check the transmission and the whole power trainline. Check for leaks if there is any damage from such leaks if they were not taken care off. Most motor homes at one time or another will get a leak, but if taken care off right away it will not cause damage like rut of floor boards or even damage to the roof. Check the fiberglass for delaminationl. Check the air conditioners and heating systems, dash systems to see if they work proper like front heating and cooling. Check your tires. Tires on RV's should be changed out every five years regardless of miles used.

You can save a lot of money buying an older coach like that, but you got to realize also that things do wear out if not properly maintained. You never mentioned how many miles it has, but diesel engines of that type usually last 3-4 hundred thousand miles before they need over haul. Diesel engines are great engines comparing to gasoline and I have had both.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote