View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
proost

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAHaerospace View Post
I'm sure that trailer design might work, but it seems a little cumbersome for someone towing a 'daily driver' vehicle where you might be using this on a regular basis... it looks a little dangerous in that you are such a slant while you are driving your vehicle 'up' this ramp, and then must debark the vehicle, while still at this slant, all without your car yet being strapped or chained(?)... or maybe I'm missing how it is supposed to work.

I would think that a more true 'car hauler' trailer with pull-out ramps would be a much better alternative. Your trailer is already 'flat' when you drive up or off of it, and the ramps are the only 'manual' intervention needed, otherwise.

I suppose that your Outback is AWD and therefore can't also be towed with a dolly. I loved our Outback, but that's also one of the main drawbacks when RVing.

Of course, and I suppose you already know all of the details since you've probably researched your options, but having a large trailer like this also presents problems at campgrounds and rv parks that could get annoying, and/or aggravating.
Having a trailer means that you must 'park it' somewhere else if it doesn't fit into your 'pull thru' site, or if you are going to have to 'back up' into a site, which is not typically designed with trailers in mind.
You must then DEBARK your car, first, before you can then detach the trailer, at whatever location you can then find to park it. Some campgrounds and rv parks have designated places, others don't, but you'd have to do this with your long MOTORHOME, which can also add to the chore.

While there are those that choose this type of car hauling, you may quickly find that it's why you see so many tow dollies and 4-wheels down toads, rather than trailers.
Hey, thanks a lot for the reply. Definitely a con having to trailer your car and we were actually talking about that this AM. We really love our Sube so trading down to a flat towable vehicle isn't great but your points are valid. The trailer is awesome. It tilts down so we can drive up and then it has a hydraulic motor to flatten it back down. That said, where to put it if we're in a campground is an issue.
proost is offline   Reply With Quote