View Single Post
Old 12-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #29
Sundancer268

No that is not normal, at the very least the Engine should be charging both Coach and Chassis batteries and IF I am remembering right the Inverter either on Generator or Shore Power is suppose to charge the same after the Coach batteries are up to sufficient power. I was reading that in one of the manuals Intellect sent me. That is why I wanted to fix the BCC. I found it was cheaper at the time to add the B.I.R.D. Diesel 2 instead of chasing around for an obsolete part with no guarantees it would work. I did not know of any repair service available and did not really think of looking into that. I am happy with the way the system is working now. I did have to replace the combiner relay on the Passenger rear rail because it would not pass any current. That is the same relay controlled by the switch on the dash used to jumper the house and chassis batteries together. You could hear it clicking when my wife pushed the switch, but the contacts were not passing current. Expensive relay as it has to be a continuous duty relay vise a momentary duty like a starter relay. Any way the general operation is that the battery normally charged by it's primary source, Alternator or Inverter has to reach a certain voltage for x amount of time at which point the BCC/B.I.R.D controller will activate the combiner relay to connect both banks together to be charged. Some cheaper systems will only work when the alternator is charging and the better systems work in both directions. I think though not 100% certain that the BCC was suppose to be the better system. Easy enough to find out, just run the engine while disconnected from shore power and measure the voltage on both battery banks, they should both be above 13 volts if they are receiving a charge from the alternator. More than likely the voltage will be at least 14 plus on the chassis batteries and slightly less on the house batteries due to voltage drop on the wires between the batteries. Then do the same thing with the coach re-plugged back into shore power and check both banks. If it is Bi-Directional the chassis battery will be slightly less than the house batteries. The alternator voltage will very due to outside temperature with a higher voltage the colder it gets.
Air Force One Brake System
Sundancer268 is offline   Reply With Quote