View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #30
CoachStreamr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer268 View Post
No that is not normal, at the very least the Engine should be charging both Coach and Chassis batteries
Is this how it should work it should work on our Scenic Cruisers (his is a generation newer than both our Scenic Cruisers)?

http://www.gsowners.com/forums/showp...90&postcount=6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
The engine alternator charges the chassis batteries first, once they are charged then the bi-directional relay will start charging the house batteries.

Now to jump start the engine with the house batteries just press the rocking switch down and hold it for a few seconds and it will crank right up.

Now while I am hooked up to shore power only the house batteries get charged up with the inverter/charger on my Scenic Cruiser.
On Shore Power, our Chassis batteries do not get charged, only the Coach/House batteries (I've check the voltage on both banks several times). The Converter/Charger only connects to Coach/House batteries though that bank is connected towards the BCC (and/or a isolator Relay) and perhaps the system should the Chassis bank on Shore Power. I just don't know if it was designed to do so. EDIT: On further thought, I think the Converter/Charges (under bed) wires go towards the BCC (front of Coach, Driver's side) and not directly to the Coach/House bank at the rear Drivers bay. I may have to take the time to trace those wires.

With Engine running, the Chassis batteries get charged but not the Coach/House batteries. However, I may have checked the voltage at the Coach/House batteries (with engine running) when the Chassis batteries were still low and the BCC didn't switch over yet - assuming the above quote is how the system is supposed to work.

Our Coach doesn't have an inverter, just an upgraded converter/charger.

I looked through your onedrive. Did you document your B.I.R.D. repair/upgrade? I'd be interested to know the details of your upgrade/repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer268 View Post
I did have to replace the combiner relay on the Passenger rear rail because it would not pass any current. That is the same relay controlled by the switch on the dash used to jumper the house and chassis batteries together. You could hear it clicking when my wife pushed the switch, but the contacts were not passing current. Expensive relay as it has to be a continuous duty relay vise a momentary duty like a starter relay.
I hear the click when I press that dash button but I have never had the voltage measured while pressing that button. I will have to figure out which bank to measure - actually I need to find that specific relay location first and just test at the relay.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote