View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 01:54 PM   #9
amblttow

Default Re: Single axle towing? Gulf Stream Visa Erd 19

I've had 8 travel trailers including a 19ft 5th wheel, and only one was a double axle. (not the 5th wheel) All were 21ft or less, and I found little difference. Just completed 3740 Km around the Gaspé, towing a 19 GRU. Many tight turns, steep descents, and one hair raising emergency stop- it towed like a dream- very easily handled bow waves from 18 wheelers, and strong cross winds. Watch your tire pressures, weight and balance (tongue weight) and make sure the trailer is dead nuts level when under tow. I have a WDH but found it was not required.[/quote]

I should add to the above: The present tow vehicle is a 2011 F150 w 5l V8, so power is the least of my concerns. Fuel economy towing with this truck can be as high as 16 l/100 km, and the worst was 21 going into a strong West wind between Kingston and Toronto.

Without the trailer, I can count on as little as 9 l/100 under perfect conditions, but it usually averages 11 on the highway.

Previous vehicles were a 2003 S10, V6, and that towed the 5th wheel, 2006 Colorado I5 (a delightful engine), and a 2008 Canyon with the 4Cyl- really not up to towing much over 2500 lb, no matter what the manufacturer tells you. My only problem at present is the very low road clearance of the GRU. I have a lift kit on order, can hardly wait.

Cheers to all.