View Single Post
Old 09-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #3
jamesham

Smile Here is our fix.

Here is a second thought on this problem. There is a lot of stuff by that gen...more than usual from the photo.

On our GS coach, there is a hot wire coming off the ignition switch that goes to the small terminal on the solenoid switch. This signal opens and closes the solenoid to allow juice to flow between the two large #4 battery cables. Actually one side is a feed from the engine alternator and goes thru the big solenoid to allow the engine to charge the house battery. If the ignition is off, it stops the house battery from draining off the engine battery and having a no-start situation in the morning. The solenoids are great old technology, but a solid-state battery isolater will replace it with more dependable performance.

You are lucky to have your solenoid so visible and accessible. When the engine quit charging the house battery on ours, I found GS had hidden the solenoid under the driver side running board where it was impossible to find and constantly being soaked by road spray. The solenoid was intermittent even after cleaning. I relocated it to the house battery under the steps, and replaced the heavy charging cable for maximum charge amps.

[QUOTE=Anyway, anybody know why there would be a hot wire running from the generator bay to the dash? I don't think it was hooked up to anything
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote