View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
EricB

Default Upper engine compartment access, changing bad surge tank

I've got an '04 Crescendo with the Cat 330. The surge tank (the tank above the radiator that holds the anti-freeze) is decaying rapidly, and I just discovered it on this trip. It does not hold pressure and the rest of my trip involves mountains and heat (Reno to Long Beach to Lake Havasu to Macon, GA).

So, here I am with a new tank and the bedroom taken apart, still unable to get to the back two bolts to swap this thing out.

I have tried going in through the front by removing the baffle bracket, no luck.

Up underneath the engine, access is blocked by about 2'.

Possible to remove muffler and climb over engine, but seems tougher than it should be.

There is supposed to be access below the bedframe, so I tried that.
In typical GS fashion, they used good parts and put them together badly. There are no pneumatic lifts on the bed frame, and when I got it up and strapped out of the way, it broke a number of really bad welds, dropping one section of aluminum tubing as well. Anyway, the cover had 4 phillips screws and a bunch of 3/8" drive screws, which all came out quickly...which didn't help much, as there is no obvious way to get the cover off, no room to slide in any direction without taking apart the slide and bed frame...

Any suggestions or experience with this project?

Thanks,

Eric