View Single Post
Old 05-29-2022, 10:51 AM   #7
proost

Okay, by now, you have no choice but are figuring it out. How's it going and can I assist further? We have been full-timing for the past 2.5 years and are bouncing around the country with no reservations this weekend.....THE weekend. Shoot me a private message if you'd like and I'll send you my digits so we can talk on the phone if that will make it easier.

Some answers:
1. Harvest Hosts is a great option. Don't forget Cabelas, Cracker Barrels, and other RV-friendly overnighters if you're just en route as well. DO ABLE!!
2. If you guys have a fantastic fan in the rig, turn that on and open the windows for airflow if you don't want to run the genny all night.
3. Electric 2: Yep, plan on topping off the rig when you hit 1/2 tank and you'll be fine. If pulling in for a longer boondocking stay, fill beforehand to full.
4. Water. All about training the crowd and managing expectations. There's a way to wash your hands without too much water. Same with the black tank. DEFINITELY, put a measure 5-6 gals of water in your black tank after you dump (they usually have a connection there) to keep you from accidentally creating a 'poop pyramid' in the tank. Then flush with just enough water and you should be fine.
5. Campsites that aren't full hookup. Just see how it goes but bet you can make it every other day depending on your tank size. Again, judicious and not wasteful use of water keeps the gray from filling up too fast too. PLEASE don't dump your sink water out of the rig to save space in the tank. That's just poor etiquette and is prohibited.
6. No Toad. Don't factor your toad in the future for campsite length limits. Most ask for your rig size and there is often parking for your toad elsewhere. 30ft is a GREAT length for parks. Hey, we're 43' and 65' total length!
7. Abandoning Campsites. The sign idea is novel but most facilities place or have you place a reservation placard on your site number post or pedestal. Leaving some basics at your picnic table, etc clearly tells someone the site is 'occupied.'
8. Propane. Flying J truck centers, Tractor Supply's, and Ace Hardware stores often have 'BULK' (the operative word) propane. Check ahead to see first in your travel plan. Also, you can buy a 4-port adapter for your propane connection to run a hose to a portable tank when you know you'll be remote camping and don't want to break camp.
9. Sewage. People suck and waste outside of the dump connection is possible yet rare but use of gloves and if you want, disposable booties can mitigate this. Also, keep a pack of antibacterial hand wipes handy by the driver's seat just incase.

Hope this helps. SAFE TRAVELS and have a blast!!
proost is offline   Reply With Quote