View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #13
quikduk

I have found out the following re: the basement compartment "construction" on our '98 DP.

The compartment "walls" near or adjacent to the doors are usually made out of "pieces" of sheetmetal. These are not stitch welded together nor are they backed by anything but air. The connection of these panels behind/to the areas on the sides, top and bottom is minimal at best.

I will have to take some remaining before and after shots but here is what I have done so far.

First, I tore off all "foam" rubber or sealant at the vertical edges. I then taped the front and foamed the rear with self expanding foam. Sometimes I had to tape the rear and foam fdrom the front but the final product is sealed with an adhesive quality.

Second, I back cut the foam at the front to leave a little reveal. I then filled this with 100% silicone and painted it (when dry) with matching flat black paint.

Third, in some cases, I has to use pop rivets (like the factory) to secure parts of the body fiberglass/fender skirts/edges to the aluminum tube sub-frame. I then filled these with silicone and will match once I procure the matching paint.

Where the sheetmetal panels "misses" one another, I will be plug welding some steel flat stock behind and then fully stitch welding the seams, then seal and paint as usual.

OAN, GS's QC doesn't deserve any kind words (being PC here).