View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #18
Chuck v

Since I started this thread I have been able to acquire a quality charger at a local electronics surplus company that is made by Schauer and is a model JAC1212. This unit is a fully automatic 3-stage charger that can be left connected indefinitely, there is a data sheet at this web site:
http://www.battery-chargers.com/catalog/page6.pdf

I also use one Schauer's larger automatic chargers for my 48 volt utility vehicle (a Deere electric Gator with a drive train similar to a golf cart, but with a large dump bed) which handles the firewood hauling and other chores around our acreage here. It too is a quality piece of electronics...

The biggest part of the work in installing the JAC1212 charger in the TourMaster at the chassis battery compartment was running a 110 volt circuit into that location from the shore power system. I ended up running a Romex from the engine heater outlet box on the opposite side of the coach that required passing it over the transmission area. I placed this Romex cable as high as possible on the frame cross member to keep it clear of the engine, transmission and exhaust system. I have to say that it is challenging to do this work under the coach -- not much room for me under there and it is a real reach up to the frame cross member once in position. Got it done, and the installation is very tidy and secure.

Since I found this 12 amp, 12 volt charger at the surplus store -- I only paid $45 for it. Because it is a higher charge rate than the "maintainer" or "tender" products, it can top off my batteries much quicker, yet still is safe to leave connected at all times. I am satisfied with how it is working and should not have to address a low diesel starting battery condition again soon.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote