Thread: hitch question
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #12
Farmer Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Matt View Post
its a 2004 and it might be an inch or two high because when the truck blew an airbag I replaced the air suspension with coilover shocks from a Ford Expedition. The truck is level with less than 1/2" difference between the front and back wheels (slightly higher in the back). The top of my receiver tube is 21" from the ground. I assembled the WD hitch using the lowest holes on the shank and the top of the ball is at 22", even though Husky's site says that hitch has a 2-3/8" drop. Looks like I need an additional 4" of drop if the coupler is 17" (accounting for 1" of sag). I'll probably just buy an 8" drop shank and return it if i don't use it.

Thanks for your input, you are literally the first person to give me a ballpark number, and I have called the dealership service dept and left a message with Gulf Stream technical support dept. The dealer tech told me to just bring what I have. I'm sure they just want to sell me a new hitch when this one is too high.
If I understand what you are writing the way your particular setup would work...you do not look at the ball, it is accounted for already.

It is the bottom of the coupler and top of the receiver hole (inside). So with your setup you should be at ~19" for coupler height with the hitch at its lowest setting (I am not counting the 3/8" in the math so you could say 18-5/8") so you would need 2 more inches - assuming it is 17" coupler.
Farmer Fran is offline   Reply With Quote