View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
Chuck v

Mike,

Greg's diagram clearely shows the two batteries in parallel, so 12 volt batteries are appropriate in this wiring configuration.

Greg, The battery disconnect switches are momentary rockers in my coach and they remotely actuate large heavy current latching relays that actually do the battery switching. The light indicates the relay is latched ON. When not lit, the relay is latched OFF.

You need to have the batteries 'connected' to charge. The house batteries will charge off the shore power and the generator, the chassis battery typically only charges off the engine's alternator.

This does not really explain your odd generator issues. I could see how the generator may not start if the shore power were not present if it normally gets its cranking power from the house batteries (my larger diesel pusher coach has a third battery bank that starts the diesel generator and provides the power to the inverter for the residential refrigerator and other 110 volt appliances when not on shore power.) There is a transfer switch on the output of an RV generator that assumes some of the AC loads in your coach when it is running, and switches these loads back to shore power when the generator is not running.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is online now   Reply With Quote