View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 09:35 PM   #2
Chuck v

Your BMW has the power needed to tow your rig, but that is not the only thing to be concerned about. The wheelbase of the X5 is 111 inches, which is quite a bit under the lower limit for this 23 ft 2 inch model of trailer, according to this:

... As a general rule of thumb, the first 110 inches of wheelbase allow for a 20-foot trailer. For each additional four inches of wheelbase length, you get one foot more in trailer length.

You need a wheelbase of about 120 inches or more to meet this recommendation.

Also, breaking abilities should be considered. You will of course use an electric brake controller with any tow vehicle...but the larger a margin of all the parameters you have the less stress on the machinery and the less sweat for the driver.

If I were towing a camp trailer again, I would do what I did with my 20 footer, upgrade my van to a half ton truck and upgrade the truck itself to air lifts on the rear and better disc brakes/pads all around. My truck has a wheelbase of about 140 inches.

Good luck whatever you decide...stay safe, and keep the rest of the folks on the road safe as well.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote