View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 09:43 AM   #2
Chuck v

Nick,

You just make the "rule of thumb" for length of tow vehicle wheelbase versus trailer length with that combination. There have been other recent threads here on towing with shorter rigs, so you are not the worst offender... Here is the "rule" :

"the first 110 inches of wheelbase allow for a 20-foot trailer. For each additional four inches of wheelbase length, you get one foot more in trailer length"

This formula makes you good for about 26 feet 3 inches... But the weight and the frontal area of the trailer are a few another things that may put you in a stressful towing situation.

The GVWR of that model trailer is 6480 lbs. This is the value you must be able to tow to avoid a white knuckle experience. A lot of old timers like myself recommend that you do not exceed 80% of the tow rating with the actual combination of trailer and loaded tow vehicle

Most owners are startled at how much a trailer weighs once all the factory options and personal belongings, groceries, and fluids are added in. Another consideration is how much 'stuff' is in the tow vehicle itself, as the tow rating is an otherwise empty vehicle and just the driver, weighing 150 lbs. I don't know about you, but I weigh more than that and would not be taking a trailer anywhere where I did not share the experience with other folks and they of course have stuff to bring as well.

Is this your first towing experience? You will need a good weight distribution hitch and sway control system plus a quality proportional brake controller. You need quality tow mirrors with a good view around that wide trailer as well. Take your time and do not set a tight time schedule to be anywhere. Your first outing should include a trip to the scales to see just what you are dealing with in actual fact.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote