View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #6
Chuck v

TexasTaylors,

Just to recap my experiences towing a 20 foot full width camp trailer with a gross weight of 4200 lbs. By the way, it did not have a slide, so it was not as tall and therefore not as much frontal area as the one you are considering.

I started towing the trailer with my 6 cyl Ford Aerostar extended van which had a WB of 119 inches. Used a good WDH and brake controller and had air lifts on the back axle. OK on short trips on flat terrain, but very tedious on any longer trips of even just a few hours.

Changed to the 1997 1/2 ton extended cab pickup with V8 (WB of 142 inches...) on which I put disc brakes on the rear axle, upgraded brakes on the front, air lifts and full tow package, and swapped the stock 3.73 final drive gearing on both axles to 4.10 for better abilities in the steep hills of forestry roads when hunting. Made a world of difference!! I still have this truck and it has just 37,000 miles on it today.

As I have said before, take you rig to the scales when you are loaded for a camping trip and check out the actual weights. You might be surprised how much more than you think your tow vehicle actually weighs, and you will definitely learn how much stuff you have in the trailer itself.

Travel safe!

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote