View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 10:05 AM   #9
djqualls

Default Re: I Just Can't Understand IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B

I'll bet my life that each and every owner that comes to this site had a chance to go through the unit on inspection before they laid their hard earned cash on the line, why didn't they see the lose screws and lousy workmanship then? And if it was there why did you buy it or better yet if it shows up after the purchase why blame GS why not take it back to the dealer you gave the cash to and make him fix it? If he's no good why the hell did you buy it from him in the first place
Well, those screws don't come loose again and the electronics and such don't fail until they are usually exercised on the initial trip off of the lot. Mine for instance was the trip from the dealership in Jacksonville Florida to Oklahoma, by that time all of the componenets had been excercised and the flaws emerged. I could easily tell some screws has been re-inserted from the delivery trip to the dealer so the obvious factory errors were laid out.

I now know why I got such a good deal on the coach in Florida because the dealer knew that they would not have to honor the warranty. They could pass off the problems directly to GS and it would be their customer service circus that I would endure. The extra 5% off I got was for the dealer not having to perform the customer service that they build into the sale for the call-backs and minor maintenance.

You will find out that unless it requires a little caulk or a tightening. the dealer must get approval from GS to do the work under warranty. I can tell you from experience that the standard answer on most issues in No on the first try. That's why some dealers just build in those repairs into the purchase price. (This is standard in many business practices).

This is why some dealers who are GS dealers won't do warranty work on units not sold by them.

One example of this: GS realized a problem in My Air Conditioning. They asked me to bring it to Indiana to have their preferred service center make modifications and add an additional unit on my coach. This was in August of 2006. I picked up the coach in October and in February of 2007 GS still hadn't paid them for the work that they (GS) ordered to be performed by their chosen vendor.

I still like my coach and will consider GS when I buy another. but you must understand that just because your experience or mine doesn't create the exception of the norm.

As you read the posts on this forum, and take into account the content of the posters across all of their contributions, you will find that your experiences are not common in posters' dealings with issues related to the responsibility of the manufacturer beyond the dealer's control or desire.

Please understand that I'm not ranting on you. RV Owners are at a service handicap over automobile dealers. because of the sheer numbers of units produced create a better service network.

This is why when I have Freightliner or Caterpillar issues, the service procedures are more predictive and committments are for the most part quick and definitive. They service tens of thousands units in warranty not merely hundreds as Motorhome manufacturers do. As a side note, this is why manufacturing quality mirrors the same effectiveness.

We are customers of a specialty market and as such must roll with the tide of the markets productivity and effectiveness.