View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #10
RJ82much

WOW, I'm liking hearing myself talk. Let's discuss "water" next.

Water: Water is obtained from either of 2 sources. You can add up to 50 gallons of water to a freshwater storage tank or by hooking to a campsite outlet during your stay.

Connect your fresh water (garden) hose to the connection in your water & sewer drain compartment. The fitting goes to the valve marked "local" or "fill tank"

"Local" is for direct & continuous use from that external hose. Your MH pump should be turned off. Your hot water heater will be functional also.

To fill your portable tank, turn the valve at the hose to "fill tank". A word of caution - Do NOT overfill your freshwater tank. It could burst!!!! A reminder that water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon. Do you want to haul 415 pounds of water around where ever you travel vs get it at your destination? Turning the valve back to "local" when filling is complete is a good idea. Prevents accidental overfilling & prevents water loss if check valve leaks.

A word about pure water. You should have a charcoal filter canister under your kitchen sink. It's purpose is to remove chunks, chemicals, and teenie-tiny bugs that could make you sick. Best not to get them in your water in the first place. Keep specific hoses for filling & water supply. The white ones at camper supply houses are supposed to be rated for drinkable water. Store your hoses with the ends screwed together (real bugs & dirt can't crawl in) and never never use this/these hoses for any other task.

I add household bleach to my freshwater tank to prevent bacteria growth. The ratio is given in the literature that comes with your replaceable filter. I think I calculated the amount to be 25ml (cc) per 50 gallons. The charcoal filter is supposed to remove any smell.

That said, I must admit to never have drank water from my tank. I personally carry 2 blue, 7 gallon containers from home, treated with 2.5 ml (cc) of bleach. This is used for coffee, cooking, & teeth brushing. I use bottled water for drinking. (I know, I'm a pansy)

Water heater care & precautions will be covered at winterizing/dewinterizing.

Again, any comments are certainly welcome - I'm not an expert.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote