View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 12:34 PM   #16
jamesham

To run down the road with the frig and gas on, or valved off at the tank is a question as old as RVing itself. There are 2 camps: gas on/gas off. The shift in the last few years to residential refrig with large inverter providing the 110volts AC from the battery pack removes the gas danger. A more recent innovation of a 12 volt compressor frig that really works is a move in the same direction.

There are many videos on YouTube showing burned up RVs where the fire started in the gas refrig. Those that travel with the gas on say they have never had a problem and it was designed to operate while moving. The gas off at the tank crowd are safety minded and would not think of moving down the highway with a potential gas "bomb" riding behind the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
I was reading some old posts discussing concerns with turning the fridge on prior to a trip when the trailer is not sitting level. I've read that it is a best practice to run the fridge only when the unit is level.

The place where I park my trailer is level so that isn't an issue. My question: Is it a common practice to have the fridge running whilst towing the trailer? We have been firing it up after we get to the site, then waiting for it to cool before moving perishables from the ice chest to the fridge.

Our fridge runs on propane or electricity.
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote