View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #4
Leisure Time Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwood View Post
Thank you for the reply!

When would I turn the rotary switch to "off"? Is this used when plugged into shore power, or is it more for longer term storage to save the coach battery?

My coach battery recently discharged while parked and I think the LP detector might be the culprit. I am not sure how to disconnect power to it other than disconnecting the battery. Hoping maybe this rotary switch is the answer!
Yes, this switch would be your answer. When "OFF", it disconnects the 12 volt power to the "house", as hossross said. It is wired to the 12 volt side of the electrical panel. You would want to turn the switch OFF when you are storing the motorhome and you will not be plugged into shore power or not charging the batteries in any way regularly.

The 12 volt power is mapped like this: House battery(s) --> big circuit breaker outside under the motorhome --> Battery disconnect/"Salesman" switch --> 12 volt electrical panel fuse block --> fuse for individual circuits --> circuit items (like water pump or propane detector, etc.).

House batteries can be charged in multiple ways: 1) plugging into shore power so the power converter will give charge. 2) running your generator so the the power converter will give charge. 3) running the chassis engine so that the alternator will give charge. 4) connect an external charging device directly to the battery terminals to give charge, such as an electrical battery charger or a solar charging set up.

Welcome to the adventure!
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote