View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
MLynch

Default slide problem when in storage

Well, we've been extremely busy over the past 6 weeks. We disconnected the house and chasis batteries, levelled the rig and left it there for awhile while life went on. We took the RV out of storage today, because Hurricane Ike is headed in our direction and we'd like to have the RV ready to get the heck out of dodge.

I got in the driver's seat and fired up the RV...it started right away and then I retracted the auto-levelling jacks. When I did that, water started pouring down, buckets of it, all through the interior from the top of the slide. The seal apparently was not tight up at the top and water flowed in pretty heavily. Water has soaked through from the top of the slide interior through to the padded ceiling above the sofa and dinette table. When I touched the light switch over the table, water came out of it. At the seams where the slide meets the wall, there are mushrooms growing, there is mold on the carpet as well and window treatments are thoroughly soaked.

I checked the top of the slide from the inside and there are streaks in two areas where it appears that the rain leaked in through the seals.

I inspected the slide from the outside and the slide toward the bottom seems out about an inch and a half from being flush. I have not gotten on a ladder yet to see how things look at the top of the seal from the exterior.

Anyhow, this is a new rig. We took the kids on a big summer trip (over 8k miles) without any mechanical problems but tons of little interior issues....what a deflating experience though tonight.

I got on the e-mail this evening and let the folks at Gulfstream know of this major issues and all of the minor issues. Let's see where things to.

I'm guessing that a good 8' to 10' stretch of the slide needs to be completely stripped down and re-done. To top things off, the metal that I can see on the interior of the slide is showing rust.

Am I the only one lucky enough to have this issue?

Thanks,
Mike
MLynch is offline   Reply With Quote