View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
mike261

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlamb
Mike:
Assuming that your oil is fresh, high pressure at start up is normal. The oil is thicker, cool, and flows slower than oil at running temperature.

Also, do you use multi-viscosity oil like 15-40? If you use straight weight oil, the pressures may remain higher.

Your coolant temperature is not correct. The cummins should operate more toward the 180 deg. Is you coolant in need of a change, your system need a flush, or is your radiator plugged with debris? Check your coolant level as well.
Thanks for the info, I will have my oil changed. I was planning to change to a synthetic oil. I have no ideal what kind of oil is in this engine.

As to the temp, it is as the thermostat is cycling between 180 - 220 continuously. The temp will rise from 180 and as it reaches 220 it cools back down to 180. the cycle time is about 1 minute and cycle time varies with load or speed. If this wide variation is not normal , I may have problems. I will start with the antifreeze as you suggested. Thank you very much for your help.