View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 12:52 AM   #11
kgbeaner

Default Re: 23 TRS problems

[quote="kgbeaner"]The dealer discovered a nightmare of water damage, mold, a slide motor totally dislodged and tangled. Now my husband is not a bozo and he went over the unit head to toe. He discovered ... [quote]

I just reread this portion of my post, and the meaning is confusing. I meant to say that ... "Now, [as in a pause and to emphasize that] my husband is NOT a bozo..." Before we did anything with the unit and went on our first trip, he de-winterized it and also went over it head to toe and found the unmounted water pump... etc." My husband was meticulous, and he's an experienced machinest/welder with good mechanical aptitude. He fixed these things and although he was "not pleased," he found no visible water damage anywhere or any other signs of danger. IT was a hidden problem that was developing in the queen slide box and back wall of the camper. There was no visible access to the slide mechanism in ours (early 2006 models) and when it refused to budge electrically or physically on the third trip (after testing it prior to leaving and working fine), he removed the couch and crawled into the back wall space where the motor was supposed to be and there he made the discovery of the total mess. FOllow up at the dealership to collect our personal items and then 3 days later with the GS former plant manager, revealed worsening water damage and mold that had suddenly become apparent all over. The trim and cupboards (made of that composite material with white laminate strength type paint) and dinette materials was soaking up water through the floor ALL THROUGH OUT THE CAMPER. The interior of the camper was swelling from the floor up and bursting through the white paint stuff. There was mold in the front end at the back of the wardrobe and we didn't even search for the mold in the slide mechanism. (I was getting sick from the mold-allergic asthma). THe hidden back wall, supports and structure was all warbled and swollen from water. The slide was hanging downward without any support. The slide railing which it should travel along was pulling out from the dinette wall (discovered during inspection by the former plant manager). There were now water stains evidence on the roof of the slide box that we questioned seeing for the first time on our ruined trip...but weren't sure. And the list was growing. This was very stressful for us.

However, I have to emphasize that so far we have had good dealings with Gulfstream and they are working with us in a fair and timely manner. They seem determined to provide us with a good unit, and gave us an explanation for what happened and explained how they have since corrected the problems that resulted in our particular unit. It helped that our dealer's service manager backed us up very diplomatically but with solid documentation and has a good relationship with the manufacturer. We really look forward to getting in some camping, once we get our replacement travel trailer.

KG
kgbeaner is offline   Reply With Quote