Thread: Norcold 1200
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #10
RayChez1

Default Re: Norcold 1200

Yes keep me posted because my Norcold 1200 LRIM is almost going on fourteen years. Still working great! Fridge stays at around 38 degrees and the freezer freezes ice cream solid.

But like anything, I am expecting it to go. Have only had three major problems in thirteen years. One was the fuel pump on the Cat engine, but luckily it was still under warranty. The second was the exhaust manifold on the Cat engine also and that cost me $1200. for a new manifold installed at Freight liner Las Vegas. And now I have two issues which are not critical, but I have to attend to them sooner then later. My furnace does not want to ignite, so I got an appointment to get it fixed. Probably around a couple of hundred to change the board or some sensor and the other is my levelers have been acting up on the control panel. Big Foot which is the manufacturer of the Quadra levelers called me up and said it was the limit switch which has to be replaced. They are $30.00 each. Need three and I will replace them myself. Looks pretty easy to replace. So I consider those just small maintenance repairs.

But the Norcold does worry me since I have read of so many going out. I use the propane on the fridge all the time while driving down the road. Never have had any problems. But you are right about getting a residential fridge to fit in the same box where the Norcold 1200 is. You can not go up because it is already up to the ceiling, and down you could probably go down two inches, but that would require some major carpenter work.

There is a Samsung fridge that might fit, but then comes the rest of the expense that goes with the Samsung. You have to add another inverter that is Pure Sine wave, plus two more six volt batteries or what ever you have as house batteries to support the fridge. That alone is another $1500.00 on top of the new fridge which will probably cost about another $1500.
And if you do any dry camping, you will have to add some solar panels. Plus labor which is not cheap now days.

So I think the best thing to do is to stay with what you have and just add the new parts you were talking about. I think if you can get another ten years or more out of it, it would pay for itself.

Keep me posted Ray
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote