View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #8
SlimTim

Default Re: Supernova wheels

BadX - after reading your thread I did some measuring and did some investigating. I was not able to find anything from the DOT about the number of turns or minimum stud penetration through the stud. The only thing I found stated the nuts must be tight, no cracked rims, no elongated holes and etc. I also looked online and found a great deal of information but this one seemed to make sense to me:

Proper Thread Engagement. This is critically important. Make sure you have a minimum thread engagement of the diameter of the vehicle stud (as recommended by SAE). An example is, if the stud size of your vehicle is ½” then you will need a minimum of ½” of threads into the lug nut.

After doing some measuring on my 6400 I can say with confidence the front studs will meet the criteria above. Per my calculation there will be approx. 2 threads sticking out past the end of the lug nut. However the back studs "may" be to short (this is with a steel inner and an aluminum outer) so longer studs may be required. I say "may be required" because I do not have a loose lug nut to see where the threads start vs. the height/length of the lug nut.

I should state that I have Alcoa aluminum rims and they may be thinner or thicker than other brands in the hob area.
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote