View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
quikduk

Rob, Ken here.

Re: the Allison Trans. filter and fluid change, be carefull here. There are two filters on a MD3060 trans and they are the internal pleated type so no canisters like the 1000 or 2000 series.

The bolts that hold on the caps that cover these cavities are very long and they thread into fairly thin walled areas which can be stripped very easily. If you do strip them out, you have just bought a $7000 rebuild since the trans has to come out and be taken apart to repair/replace the damaged area. I may do my own but there is an authorized Allison repair/rebuild facility near my work and they only charge $95 labor for a fluid change so I may have them do it since it involves between 22 and 24 quarts.

The filter/o-ring kit runs about $75.

If I have them do it, I may change out to the Transynd synthetic fluid. My coach came with Dextron III but the Transynd can be used as a replacement and it is said it allows the trans. to run 15-20 degrees cooler. Be advised that the Transynd will run about $12-$14 per quart but if I go this route, it is for the cooling factor rather than change interval. I think I would change it every 25-30K miles.

Contrary to popular belief, you do NOT have to perform this service twice before you can use the extended change interval that Transynd suggests and this comes straight from Allison. The shop:

http://www.unitedtransmissionexchange.com/

suggests that if I bring it down to them, they will wait a little bit to allow the fluid to cool to around 140F and then drain it. Almost all of the old Dextron will come out with the fluid and filter change and the Transynd is compatible with whatever Dino fluid is left in the oil galleries.

Re: the rest of the stuff, it is easy. I am doing mine this coming weekend and will cover the engine oil/filter; fuel filters (2); power steering/hydraulics filter; coolant DCA filter and additives; check/adjust airbag leveling valves; grease all zerk fittings and possibly have a beer afterwards. I too bought my oil (Shell Rotella) at Wallyworld since it was cheaper than the Delo400 I usually use. My filters are Baldwin or Wix which make Napa filters but I am developing my own cross reference chart to save $$$ the next time. My change intervals will probably be every 2-3 years due to our use.