View Single Post
Old 07-05-2021, 12:26 PM   #10
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob0128 View Post
I own a 2021 Gulfstream 323 TBR, and our first trip of the season was last weekend. I turned on the A/C to high and set it at 56 degrees. It ran well for a few hours then began to blow warmer air and didn't sound right. I shut down the unit and tried it again the next day. Appeared to run well for 6 hours, water appeared to be draining ok off the roof. When I turned it on a few hours later, it ran ok for a couple of hours and repeated the same issue as the first time. I also felt what appeared to be spits of water coming out of the unit inside the camper. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
FIRST, you have to understand how it (should/ is designed to) operate? When running, COIL TEMP is often BELOW freezing and supply air temp coming out can be 30s-40s-50s-60s, (MAYBE EVEN 70S-80S at first, depending on air temp entering coil). With COIL that cold, it often ices some or sometimes MUCH, and as it ices, FREEZESTAT mounted to coil senses the ice, and at some point, the icing/ sensor shut off the compressor. IF Fan switch set to (ON vs Auto), the coil will defrst faster w/ fan running and compressor off. 2) THERMOSTAT should never be set below about 68-70 degrees, it simply determines when the unit shuts off; but should you be so lucky/(unlucky?) as to get temp to 68 or lower, windows and walls will be SWEATING AND CREATING WATER DAMAGE, EVEN UNSEEN WATER DAMAGE. 3) When AC starts in a rig that is 80-120-degrees, RETURN AIR hitting COIL will be that temp, AIR TEMP LEAVING coil will be 20-40-degrees LOWER (usually in the 25-deg lower range); it takes TIME to reduce temp of a rig/ your rig, and the heat load of the BTUs of all the furnishings of that rig. If you are blowing 40-60 deg air after running 1-2 hours, it is below DEWPOINT, and items that cold air hits can/ do sweat. The change in sound was most likely coil ICE, and as coil ices, area decreases and VELOCITY INCREASES, (change in sound) which can cause it to also carry the water/ condensate off the coil, into the airstream. This is where FREEZESTAT COMES IN, but it must be mounted (not hanging loose) and mounted to proper spot to shut down compressor at correct time. YOUR mistake, (I suspect) is shutting unit (and FAN) down, which increased the DEFROST time. I can be wrong for your unit/ rig, but I suspect not.. "Your mileage may vary" HOPE this helps. LUCK to ya