View Single Post
Old 07-24-2021, 02:28 AM   #3
Dark Vader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
My BT coach has a 100 amp breaker in the engine compartment. If it trips or is turned off your house battery will not charge from the alternater. You should look for a breaker. If you have a battery isolater it may be defective. It will look like a finned aluminum block with 3 wires attached to the 3 studs. The isolater will be in the engine compartment. A Google search will tell you how to test it. If your charger or alternater is working you will see at least 13 volts at the battery terminals while the charger is on or alternater turning.
If you post your coach model and year, someone with a similar model will chime in.
For some reason my signature is appearing on the desktop web site but not the mobile website. Anyways it's a 1993 Scenic Cruiser (8340) with a 5.9 Cummins. I managed to figure it out. The original separator must have been removed and replaced by a manual switch. Now it's just an ON/OFF solenoid which is activated by a manual ON/OFF switch on the dashboard. Would definitely prefer an automatic one as opposed to a manually controlled "separator". Would suck if I forgot to turn it on when I wanted to charge the house batteries, or forgot to turn it off after a couple nights of boondocking.

I suppose I can replace it with an automatic one. Also, all breakers are not tripped and look good.

As for the charging, still a bit strange how the inverter has to be on in order to charge, kind of annoying also as it would suck if I forgot to turn it on while on shore power, or forgot to turn it off while off shore power.
Dark Vader is offline   Reply With Quote