View Single Post
Old 08-10-2021, 05:09 PM   #7
SlimTim

I have a Supernova 6400 vs, the Endura 6340 but I believe they both utilized the BAL Accu-Slide Cable system. If this is correct here is what I have found.

The slide seals are more of a dust seal and not so much a water seal. I say this because the seal is a wiper type seal that is fastened to the slide frame and sits/wipes against the sides and top of the slide box. The seal consists of three pieces, one for each side and one for the top. This type of seal does a very poor job of sealing the corners of the slide box, particularly if your slide box has an aluminum trim piece on the top edge of the slide box were the wall and roof come together.

What was happening on my unit is on really windy/rainy days (I also live in the Pacific Northwest) rain water was getting on top of the slide box. The way my slide box is constructed the only place this water can go is back towards the inside of the RV. Both
sides and the front of the slide box have a raised trim peace so the water has to go back into the RV. As I mentioned earlier the wiper seals do a poor job of sealing by the corners of the slide so sooner or later the water will get past the roof seal and it starts to pool up inside the RV on-top of the slide box. Eventually when enough water pools up on-top of the slide box and inside the RV it will start to run down the outside of the slide box walls (but inside the RV) until it eventually drips onto the carpet or runs along the bottom of the slide box and drips under the bed or some other place.

To fix this I did a couple of things. The first thing I did was to check the cable adjustment on the slide and make sure the roof of the slide box is slopped/tipping down away from the RV; you will want the RV level before checking this. This forces any rain that gets on top of the slide box to move away from the wiper seal. You need enough of a slope so the water can pool up and go over the trim pieces before it can back up an go past the wiper seal and into the RV. I also removed and re-positioned the bottom slide box trim pieces to make sure they are slopped/tipping away from the RV. Again the wiper seals do not work very well at keeping water out. If water is running down the outside of the slide wall and hits the bottom trim piece it will follow the trim piece. If the trim piece is slopped into the RV the water will run along the trim piece past the wiper slide and into the RV. The last thing I did was install a small strip of materiel (gutter) that will redirect any water that makes it past the wiper seal. The gutter is installed at an angle on the slide wall so that it redirects any water back outside of the wiper seal vs letting it drip inside. If you look at new RV's that use the cable system many manufactures are installing a plastic gutter to redirect any water to the outside of the slide wiper seal.

Tim
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote