View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
RJ82much

David,

Though I'm only driving a 37' unit & a relatively short, light Chevy Blazer SUV, I can understand your concerns. As Hyall said, your backup camera is your friend. With that, you can tell who is behind you & alongside your toad. You can also keep track of who approaches from the rear.

With or without a toad, vehicles tend to pull into your blind spot which is right along the rear of your coach, just out of view of the camera but also outside of the range of your mirrors - and they sit there. The only defense against those idiots is to very slowly begin inching to where you want/need to go & listen for their horn - stupid idiots.

My Blazer tracks perfectly behind my RV. I wouldn't think you would want or should need to pull out to make a turn. Confirm that by driving around your neighborhood & watch how you track (as hyall said).

I think the single most valuable addition/modification would be to add ( or rewire) your side-marker lamps to blink with the turn signals. Ever see a truck have all their markers flashing? There is no mistaking his intentions. Cars hanging out along side of you will know exactly that they have to get out of there.

A good characteristic of the toad is that in cross-winds (& passing trucks), the toad seems to stabilize your MH sway due to the wind.

I am as comfortable driving with my Blazer attached as I am without it. Remember .... NEVER back up with your vehicle attached. It will not work. A later talk will discuss ways around this,,, but for now, if you are new, NEVER EVER try to back up.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote