View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
RJ82much

David,

I really like the idea of the LSL Toad-Charge. It looks interesting.

I have arrived at destination only to find my car battery fully discharged. It shouldn't be because I have a completely separate lighting system for brake, running & turn signals, powered by the MH. However, the auxiliary brake system is plugged into the car cigarette lighter, and the ignition switch must be left on (positioned just before the "on" & the "off") I believe this keeps the car control modules & security system powered. Anyway, the load is enough to discharge my auto battery in 24 to 48 hours.

When my lighting sytem was installed (by others), I requested that the unused pin in the 6-way connector have 12VDC wired off the MH engine battery, via a dedicated, available, unused auxiliary circuit. It is protected. I think it's fused rather than circuit breaker. The tech forgot to add a ground return for this charging circuit - probably a good thing. You see, without some means to limit the current, one battery is capable of charging far in excess of the 10 amps into the dead battery. That's where the fire-hazard warning comes into play. I have measured approximately 9 amps in my ground return which I connect only during rest stops during trips to recharge the car battery. Another occasion for a large slug of current could occur when you start the car engine - Your MH engine battery will add current, possibly more than 10 amps given the right (or wrong) conditions.

This LSL Toad-Charge claims to have a regulator to prevent overcurrent. That's a good thing. I would definately wire your charger per the manufacturer's directions, using the dedicated lines. Try to use an auxiliary power tap from the MH system. It is likely already fused - if more than 10 amps, you could change the fuse size. Since you have the 10 amp circuit breaker with the kit, it's a good idea to use it as directed even if there is a fuse.

I think this is a useful add-on. Let us know how you make out .

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote