View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 08:26 PM   #5
Colorado350

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMan View Post
I purchased over the winter a 2020 gulfstream vista cruiser 19csk. It was shipped direct from the factory apparently straight off the manufacturing floor. When I went to pick it up we went over everything and we couldnt get the brakes to work on the trailer. I have a prodigy 2 controller. The guy helping me said he tested the brakes and there is electricity going to them but didnt understand why they didnt work. He then told me to just go ahead and take it home I freaked and talked to the manager he put in another brake controller and it still didnt work. He then pulled the break away cable that is supposed to stop the trailer in the event of a catastrophe the brakes didnt engage. He said leave the trailer they would look at. Came back the next day the first guy said he tightened the brakes on trailer and it still didnt work. They determined its because the trailer brakes have some kind of coating on them to prevent rusting while sitting around for longs periods of time. They told me to take it home and drive it around and the stuff would burn off and brakes would eventually start to work. So now I am getting ready for spring camping and I am thinking that isnt safe. Should I take it somewhere and have them take brakes off and clean whatever is on them? Or do I just drive it around? How safe is that?
When you say not working, do you mean the magnet doesn’t move OR the magnet moves but the wheels don’t stop turning? The latter would point to the coating on the brakes. If the magnet doesn’t move it’s either a poor connection at the connector or the brakes themselves. The Dealer should be able to test all of this and make a determination. If they do use quick connections remove them and replace with waterproof connectors on both sides of the the axle.

There’s power to the brakes, do you have power to BOTH SIDES OF THE AXLE ?

These connectors work great for outdoor applications. They simply twist on, the wires pop a pouch of sealant that seals the connections. Do NOT reuse always use a new connector.

King Innovation 62225 DryConn Outdoor Electrical Wire Connector 20/Bag, Aqua/Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BW0YG2..._YJksEb30YBERT