View Single Post
Old 11-28-2021, 01:08 PM   #4
jamesham

Our GulfStream mini on a Chevy chassis had an electric solenoid switch to connect the alternator feed to the house battery. This looks like an old-fashioned starter solenoid and is essentially the same thing. Trace it from the engine alternator via the heavy #4 red wire. We found ours mounted under the running board on the drivers side. What a dumb place to put it where it was subjected to all kinds of water and road dirt. Replacement was standard solenoid switch from Amazon, Autozone, Advance or NAPPA.

We have the usual Onan 4K watts generator. Cummings-Onan shops can fix it but the cost is very high. A local lawn mower shop used to working on small gas engines also can fix it. A set of the Honda Inverter generators will be much more quiet if you have a couple of grand to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy View Post
I bought a 2006 GS Vista Cruiser Mini with no documentation. I thought the house batteries would charge off the vehicle alternator when the vehicle engine is running, but it appears this is not the case. Am I right that the house batteries only charge when connected to shore power or when the generator is running? If so, is there a way to charge the house batteries from the vehicle alternator while in transit?

Also...

The Onan generator won't start, has very high hours of use, and I can't find a mechanic who can repair it. Has anyone replaced the original Onan with a generator from Home Depot or similar?

Thanks.
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote