Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-10-2021, 09:03 AM   #1
Ways2Go

Default Tires - during winter

Newbie here. I will not use my Vintage Cruiser for about 4 months in the winter. It sits on a gravel pad outside. To maintain the tires, is it necessary to move my trailer a few feet? Other recommendations? Thank you!
Ways2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:38 AM   #2
VaHappyCamper

In my experience, there is no need to move the tires. I've never had a permanent flat spot etc. in any trailer that I've owned. I do however not let my tires sit on gravel for the winter, but simply pull them up on a leveling pad (all tires).
VaHappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

I have always placed my tires on treated plywood pads and covered them with tire covers during the winter. I have always done this with any RV we owned since 1989 and have never had any problems with any tire.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #4
Ways2Go

Default Thank you!

Appreciate your feedback as I learn the ropes!
Old 01-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #5
Ways2Go

Thank you! Appreciate your feedback as I learn the ropes!
Old 01-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #6
VaHappyCamper

Definite times 2 on covering the tires!
VaHappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:23 PM   #7
Ways2Go

Default Tires covered . . . will do!

Got it on covering the tires! Thanks much!!
Old 01-11-2021, 10:57 PM   #8
Ldubs

Im fortunate that I live in a climate that allows year-round use of the "toys". But, the travel trailer does sit for from a few weeks to over a month between uses. Mine is parked on quarter dust, which is like a fine compacted gravel. I was interested in hearing more about the reasoning behind putting the wheels on ply or pads. Does parking on gravel for a long period present a problem? Thx.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #9
Ways2Go

Default Good question!!

Good question about the gravel!! I, too, am interested in that answer . . . thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
Im fortunate that I live in a climate that allows year-round use of the "toys". But, the travel trailer does sit for from a few weeks to over a month between uses. Mine is parked on quarter dust, which is like a fine compacted gravel. I was interested in hearing more about the reasoning behind putting the wheels on ply or pads. Does parking on gravel for a long period present a problem? Thx.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:02 PM   #10
GStream40
Site Team

The way it was explained to me by a fellow that owned and operated a tire business for more than thirty years, When tires sit for periods of time on gravel, dirt and other components, moisture penetrants the tire into the belts of the tire and causes rot/decay of the belt and therefore failure. By placing the tires up on wood, you are keeping tire from absorbing the moisture.
Also by putting covers on the tires, you are keeping the Sun RV rays from causing tire deteration which will create failure.
Also when my RV is going sit for a couple months in one spot anytime I place my plywood pads under the tires.

Like I stated in my first post, I have done this since 1989 with my RV's and never had any tire problems or failures.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:54 PM   #11
Ways2Go

Default Why wood?

Ron, Thank you for such a straightforward, clear response on why to use wood under the tires!! I am grateful for your advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStream40 View Post
The way it was explained to me by a fellow that
owned and operated a tire business for more than thirty years, When tires sit for periods of time on gravel, dirt and other components, moisture penetrants the tire into the belts of the tire and causes rot/decay of the belt and therefore failure. By placing the tires up on wood, you are keeping tire from absorbing the moisture.
Also by putting covers on the tires, you are keeping the Sun RV rays from causing tire deteration which will create failure.
Also when my RV is going sit for a couple months in one spot anytime I place my plywood pads under the tires.

Like I stated in my first post, I have done this since 1989 with my RV's and never had any tire problems or failures.

Ron
Old 01-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #12
Ldubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ways2Go View Post
Ron, Thank you for such a straightforward, clear response on why to use wood under the tires!! I am grateful for your advice!

X2 - Thanks. I just adopted another best practice!
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:34 AM   #13
stargazer66

One additional comment, inflate the tires to maximum pressure while stored for more than a few months.
Vietnam Veteran; 3/506 INF, 101st ABN
stargazer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:45 AM   #14
Hippieguy

Sit them on pads. Amoral and cover. However you might want to roll it back and forth once a month to move the bearings and relube the seals. Also put down the levelers to help stop any chassis sag or twist when its stored for a period of time.
Hippieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #15
Ways2Go

Thank you! Appreciate it!
Old 01-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #16
Bill Ward

Default Tires - during winter

This is an interesting thread. I have one question: would there be any benefit to jacking up the axles so the tires are off the ground? My Ameri-Lite sits on a cement driveway year-round when I'm not using it. During the summer it's not a problem because I use it fairly often, but it sits all winter; about 5-6 monts.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:34 PM   #17
jamesham

Default Take one more step to protect tires

The previous info about putting the tires on wood to keep them out of moisture and prevent dry rot is correct and spot on. However, it helps to take one more step and put a piece of plastic, vinyl, tarp, or even a heavy garbage bag between the wood and tire. This is a second moisture barrier to protect the tire. And cover the tire...even one of the ugly blue tarps or black garbage bag is better than sun damage. White cover keeps the temp down more.

[QUOTE=Ways2Go;32850]Newbie here. I will not use my Vintage Cruiser for about 4 months in the winter. It sits on a gravel pad outside. To maintain the
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:05 PM   #18
CoachStreamr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ways2Go View Post
Newbie here. I will not use my Vintage Cruiser for about 4 months in the winter. It sits on a gravel pad outside. To maintain the tires, is it necessary to move my trailer a few feet? Other recommendations? Thank you!

I recommend rubber on rubber.

I purchased a (one) 4'x6' rubber stall mat from my local Tractor Supply (inexpensive, if I remember correctly, $39) and cut it to what I needed. I parked all 6 tires on the cut stall mats.

Easy to cut with a utility knife/blade.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:54 PM   #19
RayChez1

I just cover the tires to prevent dry rot. It is parked on a drive way next to my house and I have read about putting some card board or plywood under the tire, but I never do and I never have had any problems. But then again I live in the high desert and not much moisture here. But my tires I change them every six years whether they have cracks or not. I used to use my coach at least once a month, but now with the covid 19 we have not made any long trips. It is parked now since November for Thanksgiving. Plan to use it again probably in a few weeks for another month. But this covid has really halted our travels, too dangerous.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:37 PM   #20
Canoe2day

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaHappyCamper View Post
In my experience, there is no need to move the tires. I've never had a permanent flat spot etc. in any trailer that I've owned. I do however not let my tires sit on gravel for the winter, but simply pull them up on a leveling pad (all tires).
Just use regular plywood to get the tires up off the Ground.
Canoe2day is offline   Reply With Quote