Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #41
SlimTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimTim View Post
Yes, it does feel good to take it out and drive it after all that work. I can’t wait to go climb some hills and see what it does.

I think my transmission issue is a bad wire or wire crimp. Hopefully I have time to look at it this coming weekend.

To my knowledge the Wabco unit has never been replaced. I thought I had it fixed as it stopped throwing a code for a short time; I removed and cleaned all the + and - power connections as well as the power unit connectors. I also thought maybe it was a low voltage issue like you had so I charged everything up to max. But it apparently decided it was not done messing with me.

FYI - my transmission issue was a wire that was set in the wrong pin location. I just had to move the wire one position over and it fixed the problem.
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 03:42 PM   #42
pwerwagn

Awesome Tim!!!! Thats a huge win!

How does it run? I assume night and day difference?
Old 10-27-2022, 06:58 PM   #43
SlimTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwerwagn View Post
Awesome Tim!!!! Thats a huge win!

How does it run? I assume night and day difference?
I think it is going to be really good when I get everything dialed in. The shift points are a little messed up so I am trying to get that figured out. It will shift into 4th gear before I even get to 45mph. Gosh forbid if I come to a hill doing 45 and it’s in 4th gear it’s not to good. However when it’s up to speed it’s awesome.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:50 AM   #44
pwerwagn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimTim View Post
I think it is going to be really good when I get everything dialed in. The shift points are a little messed up so I am trying to get that figured out. It will shift into 4th gear before I even get to 45mph. Gosh forbid if I come to a hill doing 45 and it’s in 4th gear it’s not to good. However when it’s up to speed it’s awesome.
I bet it pulls like a freight train when its up to speed!

Did you end up going with the 4.30's in the rear?
Old 01-23-2023, 04:18 PM   #45
wvlwolf

Default Any updates on the performance

ST, I appreciated all of the information that you have provided with this thread. We picked up our 08 6400 in 2017 and have been debating a re-power since our first trip to Colorado that year. I have looked at the Hypermax but with the limited torque capability of the tranny I am a little leery.

Have you been able to get yours out on the road since the install and if so what kind of difference did it make; performance and fuel economy wise?

Have you done any other upgrades since you picked yours up. We are seriously thinking of installing a Kelderman rear air suspension to help with the ride.

We are still trying to figure out what works and doesn't so if anyone has any good tips it would be greatly appreciated.
wvlwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:01 PM   #46
SlimTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvlwolf View Post
ST, I appreciated all of the information that you have provided with this thread. We picked up our 08 6400 in 2017 and have been debating a re-power since our first trip to Colorado that year. I have looked at the Hypermax but with the limited torque capability of the tranny I am a little leery.

Have you been able to get yours out on the road since the install and if so what kind of difference did it make; performance and fuel economy wise?

Have you done any other upgrades since you picked yours up. We are seriously thinking of installing a Kelderman rear air suspension to help with the ride.

We are still trying to figure out what works and doesn't so if anyone has any good tips it would be greatly appreciated.
Wvlwolf - unfortunately I have not had an opportunity to take the 6400 on a long trip since doing the Repower. I am hoping to take it out this spring and summer.

My 6400 has the rear air ride installed on it and I can’t say enough good things about it. I have driven mine with the air bags deflated and the air suspension makes a night and day difference.

In regards to the Repower the longest trip I have done with the new engine and transmission has been 30 miles. The new engine makes it way nicer to drive, but it’s still not a performance machine. I need to buy a new TCM before I take it out again.

If you like your 08 and you don’t have the desire to upgrade to a Renagrade or some other RV with the bigger engine and air ride I would do the Air Ride first and then look at the repower.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:50 PM   #47
wvlwolf

ST, Thanks for the update and the insight. We are currently on the fence as to simply update this rig or go for a newer one. I really don't want to get into a regen rig and this 365 was pre-egr so it is a great engine just needs more umph. Our other issue with upgrading is that you cannot find a rig with the water, fuel, grey, and black storage that these have. Much less the sleeping capacity.

I have had to do some minor mods to ours so far in that I had to put supports under the water tank compartment because the weight of the tank was pushing the bottom out. I also just installed new tail light receptacles because the plastic clips that held the bulbs in were brittle and breaking.

I noticed in the thread that you said you had an ACE air ride system. I have not seen that one could you send me the link for their sight? I also noticed that you have aluminum wheels did you go 4 or 6 and did you have to put bigger studs all the way around for the wheels?

Sorry for all of the questions it is just nice to find people that have these rigs and may have already experienced some of the issues and have tips and tricks to move the process along.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:50 PM   #48
Darbgnik

Link to the air suspension below:

https://www.superide1.com/index.html
Darbgnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:31 AM   #49
wvlwolf

Darbgnik - Thanks for the link I appreciate it. It doesn't look much different than the Kelderman suspension. I will have to call and get pricing to compare.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:23 PM   #50
SlimTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvlwolf View Post
ST, Thanks for the update and the insight. We are currently on the fence as to simply update this rig or go for a newer one. I really don't want to get into a regen rig and this 365 was pre-egr so it is a great engine just needs more umph. Our other issue with upgrading is that you cannot find a rig with the water, fuel, grey, and black storage that these have. Much less the sleeping capacity.

I have had to do some minor mods to ours so far in that I had to put supports under the water tank compartment because the weight of the tank was pushing the bottom out. I also just installed new tail light receptacles because the plastic clips that held the bulbs in were brittle and breaking.

I noticed in the thread that you said you had an ACE air ride system. I have not seen that one could you send me the link for their sight? I also noticed that you have aluminum wheels did you go 4 or 6 and did you have to put bigger studs all the way around for the wheels?

Sorry for all of the questions it is just nice to find people that have these rigs and may have already experienced some of the issues and have tips and tricks to move the process along.
The fresh black and gray water storage is exactly why I purchased the GS6400 as well. We do mostly dry camping and when the wife can't take a shower before bead it's time to go home so lots of water capacity was a must. It is also one of the reasons I decided to do the repower instead of selling and trying to upgrade. Also, I did not really want to spend another $100k or more on top of what I would get for my motorhome to get into something with the ISL engine.

I replaced all 6 steel wheels with aluminum wheels. I think you can retain the inner steel and just do the four outer wheels if you want. But I got the wheels from a truck wrecking yard, and I think they only cost around $100 each. I took the four outer wheels to a polishing shop and had a mirror polish put on them. I tried to polish them myself but let's just say it did not work out. In regard to the wheel studs the fronts are long enough but the rear studs had to be replaced with longer ones. There is a thread on this forum I did about installing the aluminum wheels. I think you can search for all threads that I have done, and it should come up.

It looks like some other members have already posted a link to American Carrier System's suspension. The only issue I have with the ACS system is that they only installed a single leveling valve on my MH when they installed the suspension. This can cause the MH to lean to one side or the other if it's not loaded evenly from left to right. I am working on relocating the leveling valve and installing a second valve so the MH always stays level regardless of how it is loaded. So whatever system you go with make sure it has two leveling valves (one on each side). It's not going to happen this year but I have been working out how I can put air ride on the front as well.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:05 PM   #51
SlimTim

I took the Cummins powered SN 6400 on it's first overnight outing this past weekend. All in all I am very happy with the way it runs and drives. I went up one hill that would slow me down to 45 mph with the vt365. With the ISL not only can I maintain 55 mph I can accelerate up it. I can't wait to take it over a long maintain pass and see what it will do. It also looks like I am going to get the same or better fuel mileage so that's a plus as well. I may have gone a little to high on the rear axle ratio, but I need to put some more miles on it before I know for sure. On the freeway 55 mph = 1500 rpm; 1500 rpm is also the peak torque RPM. Max RPM for a ISL 400 is 2200 and peak HP is at 2000 RPM. The good news is even at 60 or 65 mph I still under 2000 rpm.

A couple of items I still need to work on are:

Wabco hydraulic brakes. I am still having issues with my brakes. I thought I had them fixed but nope they are still throwing a code. I am going to try one more thing and if that does not work I am taking it to the shop.

Engine Jake-Brake. My Cummins ISL came with an engine brake but I have not figured out how to make it work yet. I need to wire the engine brake to the Allison 3000 electronic control module so when you turn the Jake-brake on the transmission knows what to do. I have the electrical schematics, but the drawing is slightly different than my application so I need to take some time and figure everything out.

Build an enclosure for the intake air filter. Without an inlet air filter enclosure the turbo whine is quite noticeable. My thought is I will build an enclosure to see if it will cut down on some of the noise. Also, I can make the enclosure so it pulls cool air from the side of the hood like the OEM enclosure did; yes, more fiberglass work.
Old 03-30-2023, 05:54 PM   #52
SuppaSee

nice work! this will be a beast on the road when all the kinks are worked out
SuppaSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 11:43 AM   #53
SlimTim

I took the SN out this weekend for a short two night trip. I forgot how much I enjoy driving the SN. So far the Cummins is doing awesome. It looks like on a level road doing 60 to 65 mph it is getting around 10 or 11 mpg, based on the dash readout.

I also love the Allison 3000 transmission with the push button shifter. It’s nice to just reach down and push the button to get a lower gear when coming to a hill.

I sold the VT365 and this paid for the purchase of the ISL. I have been hanging on to it just Incase, but there is no going back now.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:44 PM   #54
pwerwagn

So awesome!! I’m glad you’re loving it!!

I’ve still been slowly acquiring parts to do mine, emphasis on slowly haha.

Jeff