Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-10-2023, 09:51 PM   #1
wchoe

Default Removing stuck water-heater to fix pex tubing

The pex tubing connecting to my Suburban SW6 water-heater is leaking and I need to remove it to access the tubing. This is on a 2008 Gulfstream Vista Mini Cruiser on a 3500 Sprinter chassis.

After removing all the screws on the metal-frame in front, and the 3 retaining-screws on the water-heater, I can't remove the metal-frame to pull out the heater.

I have tried cutting the caulking around the metal-frame and used a pry-bar, but it is still stuck.

Please let me know if someone has experience working on this.

Thanks
wchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 09:46 AM   #2
RY469

The water heater is typically sealed with butyl tape. This stuff is REALLY sticky. Have you tried using a plastic scraper / putty knife and going all the way around the front flange to cut the seal between it and the RV? You can use metal if careful, it will scratch. Plastic is safer. Once the putty is cut all the way around, the unit should just pull out the front.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 03:34 PM   #3
Gingersdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchoe View Post
The pex tubing connecting to my Suburban SW6 water-heater is leaking and I need to remove it to access the tubing. This is on a 2008 Gulfstream Vista Mini Cruiser on a 3500 Sprinter chassis.

After removing all the screws on the metal-frame in front, and the 3 retaining-screws on the water-heater, I can't remove the metal-frame to pull out the heater.

I have tried cutting the caulking around the metal-frame and used a pry-bar, but it is still stuck.

Please let me know if someone has experience working on this.

Thanks

As mentioned, that tape is very sticky and can be difficult. Might try a hair dryer to soften it up.
Gingersdad is offline   Reply With Quote