Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class C
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-19-2023, 10:44 AM   #1
miataroadster

Default Mattress replacement

The original mattress is 48" x 72" with a cut out. Replacing it with same exact size plus cut out is custom and will be in the $500++. Has anyone found an 8 or 10 inch high foam mattress with the exact same size? I found one in Amazon(see picture) but it's only 4" thick and the reviews are not favorable. I have found some 10" ones with a little bit larger dimensions (54 x 75) but I am unsure if cutting it to the dimensions could damage the integrity of it. Has any one trimmed one of these thicker foam mattresses? I did it on an old 3" and it turned out ugly. Lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230419_084546_Amazon Shopping.jpg (101.7 KB, 8 views)
miataroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:06 AM   #2
Tonyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by miataroadster View Post
The original mattress is 48" x 72" with a cut out. Replacing it with same exact size plus cut out is custom and will be in the $500++. Has anyone found an 8 or 10 inch high foam mattress with the exact same size? I found one in Amazon(see picture) but it's only 4" thick and the reviews are not favorable. I have found some 10" ones with a little bit larger dimensions (54 x 75) but I am unsure if cutting it to the dimensions could damage the integrity of it. Has any one trimmed one of these thicker foam mattresses? I did it on an old 3" and it turned out ugly. Lol.
Tochta https://www.tochta.com/ can custom make one for reasonable price, that is where we got ours. Pretty fast too.
Old 04-24-2023, 02:13 PM   #3
miataroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyf View Post
Tochta https://www.tochta.com/ can custom make one for reasonable price, that is where we got ours. Pretty fast too.
Thanks for the reply, Tony!
I was able to find other websites too, but most are too pricey even without the custom angle cut.
I might settle with mattressinsider.com with their 8" luxury gel foam without angle cut for $560 with their combined promo/discount. Reviews were very good, add the satisfaction guarantee and I am almost ready to use my credit card! Hahaha.
Old 04-30-2023, 10:26 AM   #4
Mebryant

I bought a memory foam mattress through Amazon and did the cutout myself. The trick to the cutout is use an electric carving knife. Cuts through the memory foam like butter.
Mebryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 04:47 PM   #5
miataroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebryant View Post
I bought a memory foam mattress through Amazon and did the cutout myself. The trick to the cutout is use an electric carving knife. Cuts through the memory foam like butter.
I might invest on that electric carve knife....
Old 08-11-2023, 09:00 AM   #6
EZinColo

Default Bread Knife cuts all Foam

Howdy
I bought a mattress from a company on Amazon and it’s great. It’s got 1” of memory foam on top (blue) and 5” of high density foam underneath. It cuts like butter with a high bread knife. You don’t need (knead?) an electric knife.
It did cost us $400 though.

Good luck
EZinColo is offline   Reply With Quote