Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
Brian

Default jacks making noise

So im in bed and i hear this tick every time i move, the next day i get out and find out its the back jack stands. Sounds like they are loosing pressure. They is no fluid anywhere and i cant say that they are going down, what is this noise??? On another note i had it in my sisters driveway for a weekend and she has a slope. I had the front wheels off the ground about a foot. Is this a bad thing?? The back jacks did not even drop, i like the stability it gives the coach when down.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
schmittm

Default Re: jacks making noise

I have a 2008 supernova and unless they changed the jacks, they are not hydraulic and there is no fluid in them. They are a basic screw jack design with an electrical motor. If you do not have the tires chalked it might be the forces trying to pull or push to coach on it's jacks and it is making a creaking sound.
I have raised my front wheels off the ground with the jacks when it is leveling, I don't think it it's a problem as long as there is no chance of the coach rolling forward or back. If the back wheels come off the ground I will put blocks under them, I do this by raising them up. Little higher and then setting the coach back down and the re-level. I have found that the coach has more stability and less movement if the rear wheels are touching and stabilizing the load, not just the rear jacks.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
Georunner

I don't think it "hurts" anything to have the wheels off the ground, but I do not like the wheels hanging on the suspension. We camp mostly in State and Federal campgrounds that are not generally real level. I always block the wheels if they would come off the ground by driving onto some blocks I made from 2X8s.
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
nwcanopies

To address the question of wheels being off the ground, I have a 2010 36' coach and the owners manual says not to do it. I don't know if it is because of the weight or due to the possible breakage if a strong wind comes up.... Walking around in one can cause sway too which migh apply pressure to the jacks. 1' off the ground is quite a bit.
nwcanopies is offline   Reply With Quote