Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #1
PopPopK

Default Generator Noise

I have a 3400 watt duel fuel Champion RV Generator.
I want to quiet it down. Are there any fixes that won't alter the generator by cutting, welding, drilling, pounding, sawing(you get the picture).
I have heard of fastening a 1 inch diameter "L" tube about an inch from the exhaust opening, reaching about 24 to 36 inches above the generator will make the exhaust sound go up and disaate higher in the air reducing the noise.
Anyone hear about this and if it really works.
Thanks
PopPopK
PopPopK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
Sudsy

Wish I had a picture.

I have an extension exhaust pipe that extends the exhaust to the top of the ladder. It is made up of parts obtained at a NAPA store with the help of a patient counter guy. It is primarily to get the exhaust above the camper so the fumes can't get in the cabin. Honestly I have never used it after going through all the trouble of putting it together.

I have also see people with flex exhaust pipe and a small muffler that they just lay on the ground. But I bet it gets hot and would burn a kid if they got curious.

Sudsy
Old 10-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
Chuck v

Camco makes a commercial product for diverting/extending a generator exhaust called a Gen-turi. I have never used one, but here is information:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Gen...SABEgJ6NPD_BwE

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
RayChez1

The extension to the tail pipe is not going to help in reducing the noise level. That like others mentioned is for diverting fumes. If you ever go to a FMCA rally they are required because everybody is sandwiched in tight and you do not want the neighbor complaining that fumes are choking them. Some newer Tour Masters have had problems with the noise level from Generac generators that were installed on some of them. They are loud in comparison to the Onan diesel. I have the Onan Quiet diesel 7800 and it is so quiet you can barely here it running. About the only thing that would quiet your generator is to change the muffler and put one that will quiet that engine down.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote