Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #1
RockinAB

Default 2005 Gulf Stream Crescendo and new member

Greetings fellow wanderers.
I have recently purchased a 2005 Crescendo diesel pusher. My problem lies with the electrical system. When I am not plugged in and do not have the generator running, shouldn't the house water pump work when switched on? Shouldn't I have power to my electrical outlets as well? Is this an inverter problem? Thanks in advance for any help>
RockinAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
Dennis4809

Default Re: 2005 Gulf Stream Crescendo and new member

The water pump is operated by the batteries. If it works when on shore power or the gen is running but not otherwise, it's getting power from the inverter/charger. Bad batteries. Likewise, the inverter uses 12VDC from the batteries to make 120 VAC. Again, sounds like bad batteries.
You likely have four 6 volt batteries for the above. Then two 12 volt batteries that start the engine and power the chassis items.

Good luck,
Dennis
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #3
RockinAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809
The water pump is operated by the batteries. If it works when on shore power or the gen is running but not otherwise, it's getting power from the inverter/charger. Bad batteries. Likewise, the inverter uses 12VDC from the batteries to make 120 VAC. Again, sounds like bad batteries.
You likely have four 6 volt batteries for the above. Then two 12 volt batteries that start the engine and power the chassis items.

Good luck,
Dennis

Thanks Dennis!
I have 2-12 volt batteries for the house and 2-12 volt batteries for the chassis. I learned this from having to jump start the engine last night. What a chore that was... I will have to get all the batteries checked as they are still under warranty. I seem to remember the house batteries going dead once in a very short period of time.
That seems to be a good starting point. Would hate for it to be the inverter, as they are very expensive...

By the way...
If the coach is plugged in to shore power, shouldn't the batteries be maintaining themselves is some sort of way? It has been plugged in and the chassis batteries went dead anyway...
Old 02-25-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
Dennis4809

You didn't say if the water pump works when on shore power. If it does not work when not on shore power but does when on shore power, the Inverter/charger is working and you batteries are shot. Shouldn't let your batteries get below 12.2 volts or so as the life span drops rapidly. Get a simple voltmeter and learn to use it. Take a battery reading without shore power or generator. Plug into shore power. Should now go up to 13.5 - 14.5. Same when you start the generator or start the main engine.

First thing is to check the water level in the batteries. House batteries will need to be checked and topped of every 6 weeks or so.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:59 PM   #5
GulfStream1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinAB
Greetings fellow wanderers.
I have recently purchased a 2005 Crescendo diesel pusher. My problem lies with the electrical system. When I am not plugged in and do not have the generator running, shouldn't the house water pump work when switched on? Shouldn't I have power to my electrical outlets as well? Is this an inverter problem? Thanks in advance for any help>
Yes your water pump if turned on should operate off the house batteries. And everything else that is 12 volt like your lights. Now there should be a big toogle switch by the entrance door. Make sure that is on. Maybe somebody turned it off and that means no power to the twelve volt system in the house part.

Also if your house batteries are bad, then nothing that is twelve volt will work in the house part. Check your house batteries with a volt meter, and see if they are twelve volt, then put a load tester on them and see what kind of reading you get. Not sure if you have sealed batteries or wet, but if they are wet, make sure they have distilled water.
GulfStream1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:55 AM   #6
Frutza

Like has been said, check battery water level. The inverter was an option, make sure you have one, don't know what model you have, but on mine the inverter is in a bay between the batteries and the electrical bay. also the remote control is next to the surge guard display. Now, while your on battery power only, turn on some over head lights, these or also 12 volt, then turn on you pump do the lights dim out or stay almost full bright, if they stay up, then you have a different problem. You can also monitor your battery voltage from the remote on inverter. Make sure the battery charger on the inverter is turned on. Mine did not charge the chassis batteries from the inverter and the house batteries do not charge from the alternator. You'll need one of these for that. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bi-directional- ... hi&vxp=mtr
Oh, WELCOME TO THE FORUM
Old 03-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #7
RockinAB

Okay, All indications and test prove it is actually the water pump itself. Fuse is good, switch is good, lights do not dim. Would anyone happen to know where it is located? I am sure it is someplace I will not be able to get to, but I just want to cover that base...
BTW, thanks so much for all y'alls help!
Old 03-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #8
Frutza

Mine is on the right hand side first Bay infront of the rear wheels. There's a small cover over the pump, it molded to fit the pump. No, you can check for power at the pump, also, on the front of the pump is a pressure switch that can also be bad. You'll see the red wire on the pump and two plastic plugs where it goes in and out of the switch. Use your test light
Old 03-03-2016, 04:57 PM   #9
RockinAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza
Mine is on the right hand side first Bay infront of the rear wheels. There's a small cover over the pump, it molded to fit the pump. No, you can check for power at the pump, also, on the front of the pump is a pressure switch that can also be bad. You'll see the red wire on the pump and two plastic plugs where it goes in and out of the switch. Use your test light
Thank so much!!
Old 03-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #10
RockinAB

Hah!!! I fixed it! Loose wire.