Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-23-2022, 11:55 AM   #1
98UltraSupremeGuy

Default New (Used) RV owner

Hello and good afternoon!

I've recently (yesterday) come into the possession of a 1998 GS Ultra Supreme. I've never owned an RV, I've never operated an RV, I've never learned how to fix / repair / operate the mechanics of an RV.

I'm here for help, to ask questions and learn more about this whole RV thing.

Thanks for letting me be a part of it!
98UltraSupremeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:29 AM   #2
Bike Dr

Hello and welcome!
My first advice is to start doing your homework! have someone help you understand how your specific rv works due to so many variations and configurations in the systems. You Want to be sure you are using things correctly to keep from damaging your new toy. You have 2 two systems most likely a 12v DC system and a 110v ac house current system. And possibly a generator. 1st rule NEVER run the gen when hooked to shore power ( plugged in)..if you have one! If you have specific questions I'd be glad to help!
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:05 AM   #3
98UltraSupremeGuy

Thank you very much. I gutted the overcab yesterday and will be rebuilding it this week. We've got a soft spot in the floor so that's next on the list.

I'm reading manuals I find online, looking for good places to buy parts from... and trying to figure this stuff out!
Old 04-25-2022, 01:27 PM   #4
Bike Dr

I see you have a class c model, there are many people here that have a lot of insight for your specific needs! As far as construction they are wood and screws with various types of metal framing. Go for it and good luck I hope you get it back into shape...
Old 04-25-2022, 02:33 PM   #5
98UltraSupremeGuy

I'm elbows deep already! Thanks again!
Old 04-25-2022, 02:50 PM   #6
Bike Dr

Contact millie at gulfstream for any information you may need she is very helpful and should have any info missing that you do not have with your rv for the specs.. I just completed a lot of the same things even though I have a different style. they all have the same problems from time to time. I admire your willingness to attack it yourself to keep cost down and educate yourself with you particular coach and be more attentive to quality because it is yours and most shops don't seem to really care about their work any more.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:07 PM   #7
DY4118

Hi everyone I’m new to this form I have a 2005 class c 25 foot Gulf Stream Conquest with slide. Just wanted to say hi from California
DY4118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:01 AM   #8
Eddndee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Dr View Post
Hello and welcome!
My first advice is to start doing your homework! have someone help you understand how your specific rv works due to so many variations and configurations in the systems. You Want to be sure you are using things correctly to keep from damaging your new toy. You have 2 two systems most likely a 12v DC system and a 110v ac house current system. And possibly a generator. 1st rule NEVER run the gen when hooked to shore power ( plugged in)..if you have one! If you have specific questions I'd be glad to help!
Hmmm… I didn’t know; NEVER run the gen when hooked to shore power. Why?
Old 05-01-2022, 10:29 AM   #9
Chuck v

If your generator is original equipment in a modern coach, it will have a transfer switch that selects between shore and gen power. It is never any risk to run the generator when on shore power in that case. Attached is the typical wiring of such a 110 volt AC coach supply:

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50 amp primary wiring on GS coaches.jpg (93.1 KB, 6 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #10
Bike Dr

There is a possibility if transfer switch had an issue it could cause a ton of damage by sending a surge through your coach so it it much safer. There are many sensitive devices and components that could potentially be burnt up, then the nightmare begins!
Old 05-01-2022, 11:02 AM   #11
Chuck v

Bike Dr.

I do not consider myself an authority on RV systems, nor do I play one on these forums -- but I do have over 30 years of professional engineering in electric and electronic system including large solar installations in multiple countries, and even did some design/specification of 45 foot Prevost commercial coaches for video solutions equipment solutions for service providers...so I do have some experience to draw from.

The transfer switch is a very simple break-before-make high reliability latching relay with not much chance of "an issue" as you postulate. Even if it were to somehow fail such that both sources were selected at the same time, circuit breakers in the generator and/or the pedestal of the shore power source would trip immediately since the two power sources are most assuredly not in-phase or otherwise synchronized.

You may notice that there is nothing in the user controls of the RV's systems that preclude the operation of the generator when shore power is present (nor the operation of the AC inverter when either is present, for that matter) you can be sure that the insurance companies that underwrite these expensive vehicles are more than confident that the systems are reliable enough to insure -- and they know that many owners are senior individuals that may not be entirely mindful of any warning statements such as the one you propose.

You are welcome to your own precautions of course, but if you have a documented case of damage to on-board systems from a transfer switch failure we would be interested to hear the details.

Chuck

Old 05-01-2022, 09:52 PM   #12
Bike Dr

I'm not disagreeing or mean no disrespect. A transfer switch is a very simple system as you mention. But I have seen it first hand however rare. But that being said why take the chance. Why would you need two power sources connected at the same time. Other then convenience. I have found that anything man made is designed and will fail only God made is perfect! When I seen the switch fail and the circuit clashed before it triped it wipped out everything sensitive like chargers and laptops and tvs. It also took out the fridge and micro. People are sure welcome to do what they want but I see no reason to take that chance and have never had an issue.. things just happen but I do know mr Chuck if anyone understands electric on this site it is you for sure!

On an added note I have also seen them fail on a house unit when the gen went to shut down from the power company and burnt the house to the ground the fire investigation determined the transfer switch failed created the hot spot.. but I do have to mention how rare it is! And so is getting struck by lightning. And I don't gamble!! Couldn't afford it anyway with the price of fuel now!!
Old 05-02-2022, 09:33 AM   #13
Chuck v

Bike Dr,

Thanks for kind words -- we also all really appreciate all the help you have been to members of this forum (old and new) since you came aboard! Experiences are worth sharing.

I did not mean to say no failures ever occur with a transfer switch...just my own lack of ever seeing/hearing of one that selected both inputs at the same time...which was the failure mode being discussed above. I actually did have my own coach's OEM transfer EPCO LPT50BRDswitch become a bit balky at changing inputs when running on the generator, so replaced it with a better one that had built-in surge suppression. It was nice to never have to worry about an external surge suppression dog-bone getting forgotten or stolen...

I am sure the OEM switch was only 'failing' on the 30 second delay feature to transfer to the generator...but the added function of suppression was worth the 250 bucks to get peace of mind.

Travel safe!

Chuck

Old 05-03-2022, 10:50 AM   #14
hossross

I would only add that in addition to Chuck and Bike Dr being generous with the time to answer questions, better yet, you can depend on the information

My personal advise is because of the various ages of the RV that come up on this forum and all the unknown condition of the equipment, from bugs being in the switches, to dirt, to old lubricants, It is prudent to only have 1 source of AC hooked up at a time. If the relay is a NC (normally closed) to shore power, I'm not sure of the actual failure mode, but just knowing it can happen, and be very expensive and time to fix lets me know how I will operate. Does the inverter look to see if 110 V is being supplied either by shore or Gen? One of the things I do like about reading your post answers is to gain more understanding of the complexity as more of the redundant systems are added.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:49 AM   #15
Bike Dr

That's why I really enjoy this forum the people are very polite and the input is most helpful.. I wanted to help people and feel I have in some ways. And are very educated in many areas but have still gained a lot of ideas and insight from others as well..

I think now 98ultrasupreme has more then enough information to get his questions answered good luck!!!

You guys are awsome! Until the next adventure!
Old 05-03-2022, 12:29 PM   #16
98UltraSupremeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Dr View Post
That's why I really enjoy this forum the people are very polite and the input is most helpful.. I wanted to help people and feel I have in some ways. And are very educated in many areas but have still gained a lot of ideas and insight from others as well..

I think now 98ultrasupreme has more then enough information to get his questions answered good luck!!!

You guys are awsome! Until the next adventure!
I do indeed!

The adventure is already continued Dr!
Old 05-03-2022, 01:09 PM   #17
Chuck v

Hossross,

The transfer switch has the primary function to ensure that only one source of AC voltage is being fed to the various loads within the RV through the breaker panels. These transfer switches are very reliable, so any concerns about a catastrophic failure is worrying about a very rare circumstance. Some folks choose to be hyper interactive rather than trusting in modern automation, and that is a personal preference.

I will note that many coaches have MORE THAN ONE transfer switch -- since the inverter has one as well. On my 2007 Tour Master with the upgraded Magnum true sine-wave inverter, it also had an option to automatically start the generator if the bank supplying the inverter got down to a preset limit. This feature would start the generator if the inverter bank got low, and would stop the generator when it was recharged. Note that the transfer switch in the inverter itself would handle where the AC loads that were served by this inverter (such as the residential refrigerator) would be sourced. So YES, the system was specifically designed to have the generator and the inverter AC sources both present at the inverter transfer switch at the same time without concern for incident.

Any coach owner can make their own decision as to how much automation to trust and how much to supervise such systems -- much like deciding to use cruise control or not.

Chuck

Old 05-03-2022, 05:55 PM   #18
Bike Dr

Keep chipping away at it before you know it you will have an rv to love. I have been steady at it since October of 2021 with constant maintenance and tons of upgrades we were finally able to do and the end is in sight.. so I see your dream 98 and hope to see some photos after it's complete. After we button up a few minor items we are headed south for the first trip this year.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:44 AM   #19
hossross

Thanks for the additional info Chuck, I'm big on adding inverters, but my experience is with the class C which usually has a lot less features and sophistication certainly than the premium rig you have. I'm impressed with true sines inverter. Did you use the option for it to start and stop the generator? I believe you said you have dedicated batteries for the inverter, so that may effect your decision, but for those who are using the coach batteries for everything, the generator to monitor and respond to the battery charge level is a very good thing. I believe Bike Dr had a different brand inverter that was OEM
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:25 AM   #20
Chuck v

Hossross,

My Magnum was an upgrade I installed in place of the OEM one that was made by Xantrex. I tested the gen start function, but did not use it much as I lived aboard full time and did not dry camp much.

I think Bike Dr. mentioned his OEM unit was a Xantrex as well, and if like mine it did not have a gen start feature.

Chuck