Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-07-2021, 09:10 PM   #1
USA1

Default 19ERD Water Capacity

We bought a 19 ERD and the specs say it should have a 27 gal. water capacity. Well the tank is only 15 gal. at best and the hot water tank is 6 gal. then maybe a gallon in the lines. At best we have 22 gallons of water. I called the company to inquire about the tank size. I gave them the dimensions for the tank and they said that is the correct tank for the trailer. When I questioned the capacity against the specs listed the rep said well you have a gallon in the lines and 6 gal in the hot water tank. When I explained that was 22 gal. not 27 he didn't really have an explanation. So we are disappointed at the false data given by the specs. We did not get what we paid for.

We camped on our property to test things out. My wife sparingly washed some dishes and we used the restroom as needed. We each took a shower by only getting wet and turning off the water to lather up. Then quickly rinsed. By that time the water was pretty much gone. In cases of travel where we my have to stay at a Wal Mart or boondock at a national park that extra 5 gal we are shorted would have came in handy.

Have any of you noticed the false specs against what you actually have? 22 gal just isn't much to go on.
USA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:11 AM   #2
Ldubs

This has me shaking my head. We have the same model and that explains a lot. I never thought to check the actual. Thanks for sharing.

I guess it might be a good idea to question the other spec's provided.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:55 AM   #3
Dennis4809

The water heater shouldn’t count in the fresh water capacity as it isn’t usable. The only way to get the hot water out is to pump cold water in.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:27 PM   #4
genusguy

27 US gallons equals 22.5 Imperial gallons. Is it the way you are measuring or is this just a coincidence?
genusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:26 PM   #5
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

I wonder about Spec changes by Year? My 2000 class C on a 99 chassis defined by floorplan (2000 swapped toilet/ handsink locations). The 99 FW/BL/GR was 36/25/20, and 2000 was 34/36/36-gal... still unsure which tank sizes I have (I assume) online spec on 19ERD is current year, but not sure? I do (sometimes) feel the BL size is under 15, LOL
Old 05-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #6
mpg0815

I don’t know why the specs can’t be realistic and why the company feels the need to not give true representation. I had always relied on 27 gallon assumption.
We have same camping trailer.
When I start filling tank at potable water station I turn on pump and hot water heater to make sure all water is accounted for and fill main tank to capacity. I also dump a couple gallons of water that I got from potable water source into the toilet to make sure enough water is in black tank to disperse solids because I use water sparingly. For a long weekend we are able to use water for toilet, dish washing and washing up at night. We both shower on Saturday! We usually have leftover water. We have taken it for three nights/four days. To get extra showers and water use I carry a five gallon tank that I need to add the five gallons to water tank.
Having a true 27 gallons of water would definitely help!!
mpg0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:35 AM   #7
USA1

Well thanks for your replies. The bottom line is the manufacturer fudged the specs to sell something they were not delivering. It isn't rocket science, if they say they give you 27 gal. then you should have 27 gal. My tank is marked as 15 gal. I contacted the warranty department where I bought the trailer and supplied them with all the evidence and they went silent on me. I think it is a case of Gulfstream being caught in a lie. A person can try to justify it all they want want but the bottom line is what they advertise and what they deliver are two different things. I do feel cheated and if I was a little more energetic I would have a lawyer send them a nice note advising them to supply what they advertise. I have become more cynical in my years as I see this as just another case of a society that has no value system.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:34 PM   #8
Ldubs

I checked mine today. Yup, 15 gallons instead of 25. I will circle back around to Gulfstream's warranty dept too.

Thanks for bringing this up.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:40 AM   #9
USA1

You're welcome. I emailed them again but have not heard back. It's not unrealistic to ask for what we are told we were paying for.
Old 05-28-2021, 04:04 PM   #10
Drwybo

The story Gulfstream has given is a croc. Check the weight capacity sticker inside the kitchen cabinet. It is clearly treating the 6 gal capacity of the water heater as separate from the 28 gal water tank.

Anyone know a good lawyer?
Drwybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:51 PM   #11
USA1

Well I have no doubt they sat around their boardroom and had a good laugh about how they were going to deceive the customer and what it was going to save them. Then they slapped each other on the back and congratulated each other. I don't consider a 15 gal tank a laughing matter and might just talk to a lawyer if they continue to ignore me.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:31 PM   #12
Ldubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
I checked mine today. Yup, 15 gallons instead of 25. I will circle back around to Gulfstream's warranty dept too.

Thanks for bringing this up.

I have to circle back around here because I was mistaken. What I thought said 15 GAL on the tank actually says 15G01, which must be some kind of mfg number I suppose. My tank's part number is VR182611, which spec's out 21 gallons. When I calculate the volume with actual measurements I come up slightly more, but basically confirm the 21 gallons. Anyway, coupled with the hot water tank I have 27 gallons. I have to think this is what was intended.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:34 PM   #13
Ldubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA1 View Post
Well I have no doubt they sat around their boardroom and had a good laugh about how they were going to deceive the customer and what it was going to save them. Then they slapped each other on the back and congratulated each other. I don't consider a 15 gal tank a laughing matter and might just talk to a lawyer if they continue to ignore me.
Are you emailing GulfStream or your dealer? When I sent an email to GulfStream, I got a response right away asking that I provide info including a photo. That's when I looked closer and realized I was in error about the 15 gallons. Anyway, I agree 15 gallons is cause for concern and hope you get it resolved.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:55 PM   #14
USA1

Okay I have to admit I was wrong. Partially the reason is when I talk to the representative he either did not care to discuss the issue with me or had very poor communication skills. He did tell me that was the correct tank but when I questioned the amount the tank held he never told me I was wrong. I explained to him how I come up with a maximum of 22 gallons for the whole system and he for the most part did not even reply to me. Anyhow that led me to believe I was correct. After others calling it into question I decided I better just do the math. If I did the math correct it is a 21 gallon tank. Allow six gallons for the water heater and you have your 27 gallons. I will say that the specifications should make it clear that it is not a 27 gallon water tank, it is a 21 gallon water tank. The total including the water heater gives you 27 gallons. So you only have a 21 gallon water tank in this trailer. Anyway I was under the impression I was getting a 27 gallon water tank but only got a 21 gallon. So in the end I will say I was wrong partially wrong and Gulfstream is partially misleading us.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:36 AM   #15
Ldubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA1 View Post
Okay I have to admit I was wrong. Partially the reason is when I talk to the representative he either did not care to discuss the issue with me or had very poor communication skills. He did tell me that was the correct tank but when I questioned the amount the tank held he never told me I was wrong. I explained to him how I come up with a maximum of 22 gallons for the whole system and he for the most part did not even reply to me. Anyhow that led me to believe I was correct. After others calling it into question I decided I better just do the math. If I did the math correct it is a 21 gallon tank. Allow six gallons for the water heater and you have your 27 gallons. I will say that the specifications should make it clear that it is not a 27 gallon water tank, it is a 21 gallon water tank. The total including the water heater gives you 27 gallons. So you only have a 21 gallon water tank in this trailer. Anyway I was under the impression I was getting a 27 gallon water tank but only got a 21 gallon. So in the end I will say I was wrong partially wrong and Gulfstream is partially misleading us.
Technically, there is the stated 27 gallons. But I have to agree, with a fair amount of confidence, that anyone reading that specification would think that it means a 27 gallon water tank.

Just as an aside, with our camping style I don't have a lot of concern about the capacity of the fresh water tank. Or, maybe better to say I have less concern. I can always add more water using the 5 gallon jug we carry. I'm actually more concerned with the capacity of the gray tank. Dumping that before our departure day would be a big pain. So far that has not been an issue.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:42 AM   #16
Chuck v

One reason for stating the total water content of the fresh system including the water heater tank is to allow the proper calculation of the "wet" weight of the rig when all fluids are topped off. That 6 gallons of water weighs 50 lbs, so should not be ignored...and it amounts to about 22% of your total water weight when the system is full.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote