Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-25-2021, 01:17 PM   #1
NERoamer

Default Removing valences

Hi,

One of the cords on our blinds went. I looked up how to restring them and not only does it look like a pain to do, one of the youtubers said that they can wear and break as often as every 2 years.

Rather than try to do this repair and have to do it ever again we've decided to replace the blinds with roller shades. Problem is I can't seem to see how the valances come off! The screws are quite concealed. We have a Gulfstream Friendship (very similar in build to the Amerilite from what I can tell).

Has anyone done a repair on the blinds or upgraded like we've decided to do?
I can upload some pictures if anyone thinks it would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
NERoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:24 AM   #2
proost

We've done a couple of restrings on a couple of our blinds but not "every two years." These things are doing great and they just need to be checked for proper function and then they'll last and last. My wife who did the re-stringing says, "it's not hard by any means, you just have to follow the directions to the tee" on the re-string kit and once you do one, it's pretty easy as long as you keep following the directions. I would say, try it once and see how it goes. If anything, it buys you time.

We're also thinking about eventually replacing these with roller shades but we'd want the dual shades that give you both light and dark shades. Pricey and they would have to be custom so we're not ready to pull the trigger yet. We'd have 11 we'd need to do...all custom sizes. If I could go power, I'd do that as well.
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:45 PM   #3
1Fastrend

Default Shade replacement

I have a fully loaded 2007 friendship, I'm in the middle of replacing the old shades, the day night shades aren't cheap, but I found out I destroyed them. The new shades from the same manufacturer say not to leave them down when storing, they lose their pleans and they did. They are very expensive and I won't make the same mistake again.
1Fastrend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #4
gwirth

Default Removing day/night shade

I have replaced my day/night shades, major improvement. To remove the valence, you need to first remove the shade. It is a typical shade mount, snaps into a bracket. You may need to use a small screwdriver to open the bracket. Once the shade is out, you will see angle brackets. There are also some plastic brackets on the sides of the valence. All of the screws will be square head. On any valences behind a cabinet, there will be screw in the back of the cabinet holding the valence. Hope this helps. Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9394C3FA-D7EF-47E6-A913-F92F6C89AA4A.jpg (210.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 9D6F925A-18F4-4CDE-8917-437F5B4DAB6B.jpg (246.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 53564876-7527-454D-B657-3BF623B60D7A.jpg (210.2 KB, 7 views)
gwirth is offline   Reply With Quote