Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
darbyjudy

Default Checked battery water today

I though I had better check my battery water today on the MH and boy did I get a surprise. It took almost a gallon of water in the two 12 volts batterys. I have a 2004 Gulfstream Sun voyager with the 8.1. I keep it plugged into electric all the time so maybe it is over charging the batterys. I was thinking I had a battery disconnect switch in the MH but I couldn't find one. If there is one avaible where is it located. I have had this thing two years and all the time though it had one but I can't find it anywhere. I looked in the cheap-o manual that you get with the MH but it tess nothing of one.
Do you keep yours on electric all the time? I don't remember the other MHs I had using this much water in the batterys. Maybe I have a charging problem?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
earljan34

Darby, If you have the Intell system converter/charger install the charge wizard that goes with the system that's what I did and have not had a problem since also installed a battery minder on the coach batt. I leave the coach plugged in 24/7 and no problems.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
rmsafs

Our 2002 Sun sport has the swith under the hood just to the left of the batteries
rmsafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
ginger

the problem here lies with w/h. my alternator charges a constant 14.6 to14.8 volts. it never tapers off. hAd it in twice and w/h says its normal. batteries start gassing at 14.2 so thats probly where your water is going. i think they set it so high to get the high amps out of alt. hope to take mine out someday and have it set lower. dave
Old 10-21-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
Retird2Golf

Send a message via MSN to Retird2Golf

Hi there darbyjudy, on my 2004 the switches are located in the front compartment on the passenger side.

High up on the back of the compartment.

Hope this helps, Best regards, Clyde
Old 10-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
rdlamb

Default Batteries

Hi Darby:

Earl is correct. Your converter continually charges the batteries when you are plugged into electricity. Get the charge wizzard (mine cost about 30.00) and your problem will decrease. If you want to end the problem altogether, get the charge wizzard and replace the batteries with maintenance free deep cycle AGMs such as Optimas, or NAPAs Orbitals. I chose the Orbitals and have been very satisfied.

I also use a Battery Minder on my engine batteries. This keeps them charged, conditioned, and ready to go.

Best wishes
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
rdlamb

Default Batteries

Hi Darby:

Earl is correct. Your converter continually charges the batteries when you are plugged into electricity. Get the charge wizzard (mine cost about 30.00) and your problem will decrease. If you want to end the problem altogether, get the charge wizzard and replace the batteries with maintenance free deep cycle AGMs such as Optimas, or NAPAs Orbitals. I chose the Orbitals and have been very satisfied.

I also use a Battery Minder on my engine batteries. This keeps them charged, conditioned, and ready to go.

Best wishes
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
RayChez1

It is perfectly normal for wet cell batteries to use distilled water if they are connected 24/7 to AC power.
The switches to turn off the power on my Scenic Cruiser are on the rear compartment on the passenger side.
I have the Freedom 458 inverter/charger and it trickle charges the batteries as needed, but you still have to check your batteries at least once a month.
AGM batteries are too expensive and are not as good as a lot of people lead you to believe. I had to replace the two chassis batteries last year and they were the sealed type (maintainance free). They cost me almost $400.00 installed at CW.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
darbyjudy

Default Charge Wizard

I installed the charge wizard as was suggested and it seems to have ended the water useage. Last time I checked it was only down a little. It suprises me that the factory does not install this little charge wizard no more than it costs. I am sure they could buy it a lot cheaper than I did .