Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
David Bott

Default Lets Talk Basement Heating (So wanter lines do not freeze)

Hi All...

Ok, some if you know we are planning a trip that leaves the upstate NY area the last week in November. This equals...COLD. Until we can make it down to the warmer areas, which should be just a few days, we are concerned with our water lines freezing up.

Now I know that our 2008 Tour Master has like 2 heat vent tubes in the under area compartment...but really, is that enough? Should we look to add in a few ceramic heaters?

What concerns me is where the water manifold is vs where the basement is. It really can not be heated where it is as it is behind a wall that is behind another wall.

So...any thoughts for those of you how have "been their and done that" with their Tour Masters?

Thanks
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
testerdennis

Hey Dave, if you are that concerned about the line freezing why dont you just run some anti freeze through the lines. Once you arrive just flush them out and no worries.
Dennis
testerdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
David Bott

Well...We do like to drink and shower. Seeing that we may boondock, really do need water. Not knowing how cold it will be where we may stop at night...it could be an issue. I can see why you mentioned it though, as it could work just fine if quickly passing through. But you never know what may happen along the way.

Thanks for the thought.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 09-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
11B

David, no need to worry just make sure you have turned on your heat (I have a knob in my third storage compartment to do this) so it heats the storage compartments.

My coach came standered with heaters built into the water and waste tanks. I live in Utah and store my coach outside from Nov. thru Feb with it pluged in and temp set at 40 degrees. No anti freeze no air blow out I just drain it at the low point drains and have not had a problem in two years.
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
holmesaw

We leave for Arizona right after the first of the year, so I always winterize our unit (Sun Voyager) before the first freeze. We carry bottled water to drink and pink antifreeze to flush the toilet with. We just skip showers for a couple of days, or use campground showers. We do not run the furnace while driving as I shut the gas down for safety reasons. We get plenty of heat from the coach heater when on the road.
FMCA Gulfstreamers International
Good Sam
holmesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
11B

By the way David I have the same Aqua Hot system you have.
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
David Bott

Hi...

I do not have a Aqua Hot system.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 09-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
rdlamb

Hi Dave, take care on your trip.

We have camped in a bitter cold winter, howling wind, and snow that was knee deep. The TM withstood all this, and more.
We used the propane heaters, as they have ducts into the basement.

I got worried, and put a ceramic heater in the basement. This turned out to be great, it heated the floors. No cold floors in the morning!

But, it was also unnecessary. The furnaces heated the coach, and nothing froze.

Travel safely,

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
rdlamb

By the way, the Aqua Hot system is next on my list of things to add ......

Old 09-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #10
David Bott

Oh man!!! I better get moving Rick.

But really? Did you see the cost of that??? It's like $15K!!
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 09-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #11
rdlamb

Actually David, I am looking at the Oasis systems. The Military uses them in many applications. I like the idea of a system that runs off my 150 gal fuel tank.

You should not have any problems with keeping your TM warm, including the basement. I do not know how GS rigged the heating vents, but even the water manifold did not freeze during our winter in the wilds of Montana.

Do you have an engine block heater? Also, make sure you winterize your fuel. I just used additives, and winterized #2 Diesel. If you go with #1 Diesel, your fuel per mile will greatly increase.

Forget traveling if there are: 1. Ice or packed snow on the road. You really do not want to experience a TM swapping ends while going down the road. 2. sand, or worse - gravel, on the roads. Nothing like replacing both windshields to make you appreciate your insurance deductibles; 3. salt. It rusts the dickens out of everything, but being from your area, you knew that.

Travel safely,

Old 09-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #12
David Bott

Hey Rick...

Any idea who installs them?? I am guessing it will fit into the hot water tank area. Not sure how the lines would be run for heating tough and I may be a real pain getting the fuel to it. Looks like it would be some job.

Not sure how far you have looked into it, but you have any apx costs?
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 09-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #13
rdlamb

Hi David:
Not a lot of pain at all. The fuel tank had a T line in it already (at least on mine), the T- has a cap, that you would remove to hook up the line to the Oasis.
I was interested in 2 of them, the smaller units. Reason being that I want one for heat, and one for hot water. The 2 units combined are $10K, with me installing them.
Coachlight RV in Carthage Missouri is where I would have any work done. They are not GS, but I know the owners and trust them without question.

I think the Oasis is the only way to go.
How did your satellite system work out? As you may remember, the park we are in has poor wi-fi when the park is full. I suspect they cut back on their total broadband coverage after the season is over, which may explain why I have to use my tether to my Blackberry to use the internet. Oh well.
Take care;

Old 09-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #14
David Bott

Not sure if we should start a new thread or not on the G74 sat.

Install went well. Happy to help you do it as the unit would run you $4750 for the G74, D4 controller, and Hughes Modem. More or less I can get you to the point of the system being installed and powered up/tested. Then you would need someone like Bill Adams, to be for VAR to get it system up and running.

At this point I am good to go and will just need to activate my modem when ready to start paying for service.

Back on track...two units? I thought one could do both? Almost seems it would fit where the hot water tank is now. As you can seem you have peeked my interest and the company you mentioned will be along the our on our Route 66 trip.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 09-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #15
rdlamb

Yes, one large unit is how many go. The reason I thought of the 2 smaller units is to have one running the hot water for showers, and one running heat. The smaller units will sit in one compartment space the I have, which would be convenient for me. Otherwise, one large unit will take up a whole compartment, that we otherwise need.

I have blueprinted the systems, graphically, and think they will not be that hard to install. Probably be able to do it over a week. Would be nice to have the space where the 2 heaters now occupy.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #16
David Bott

So Rick...It would not fit where the current hot water tank is now? 16w x 14h x 23d
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 09-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
rdlamb

Not the large one. I was going to put the 2 smaller heaters where my furnaces are now, and reclaim the area where my hot water tank resides.

Are you sure you want to travel at the end of November? I'm guessing you will have feet of snow in Northern New York by then. If you have time, perhaps you should take your coach South, and store it somewhere, then drive South to meet it when you are ready to travel.

I know that S. Texas has many RV Parks where you can park your coach, hooked up to electrical, for about $100 per month. One park is $60, with 30 amp electrical. Just a thought, but the roads are clear now and may be very different in November.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:15 PM   #18
rdlamb

David:
I am looking at the Oasis system. I think the Aqua Hot is smaller. There is also a system that runs off propane.

Like you noted, expensive and not a job for the timid. Since I'm spending my kid's inheritance, might as well get one.

What did / does the satellite system weigh? I'd be interested in how you ran the power and lines through the roof. By the way, not many would install their own systems, you are unique.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #19
David Bott

The G74 is about 80 lbs. Their are 3 cables...2 Cat6 coax and 1 control cable. I installed the G74 right behind the sat dome and ran the cables across the roof to the front of the coach and into the cabinet to the right of the drivers seat.

I did not think about pulling out the heaters. But the heaters are above the basement so not sure that would work. Then again, if you researched it, you would know better than I. It is something I would have in a coach if I were to buy another coach. I think adding it could be costly. (hot water not so much to do I would not think, but the heat part could be.) Still may be worth looking into.

And yes, we have no choice to leave late November. We really would not want to bring the coach down south and then come back as we have Tasha. (our dog for those that do not know us.) Just crossing our fingers that we do not have much if any snow yet.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 09-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #20
holmesaw

I have been convinced that wireless internet was the emerging technology, at a signifigant savings over Sat system. What made you decide to go with the Hughes system? I have not gone wireless yet myself because where we winter in AZ the Verizon coverage is not very good yet. I just get a cable modem connect when we get there.
FMCA Gulfstreamers International
Good Sam
holmesaw is offline   Reply With Quote