Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
03heritagerider

Default Broken window seal

On my rig there is a 8"W X 32H" window next to the passenger seat. The window is insulated double pane glass and the seal has broken allowing the window to fog up.
I'm not sure why they would have an inuslated pane here anyway. Other than the two windows in the entry door, none of the "functional" windows in the coach, nor the windshield are insulated. I can't believe that insulating these three pieces would have any positive effect on the R-value inside the coach.
Since replacement windows are in excess of $500.00, I'm thinking of replacing it with a pane of automotive safety glass.
Anybody else have this problem? How did/would you fix it?
Old 05-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
RJ82much

Yes, the seal on 2 of my tall, skinny windows have failed. One is opposite side as yours (drivers side just in front of the door) and the other is the bedroom slideout. That one has filled with an inch of water! The driver's door glass is just fogged & growing moss.

Both windows are by Creation Windows, who are now out of business. http://www.parkin-acc.com/ will/can supply replacement if the know the Creative Design part number, but the cost, as you pointed out, is outrageous.

Mine (& likely yours) consist of an outer metal shell. The inner/inside ring has screws that somehow sandwich the glass between. The Parkin rep, suggested removing the glass & taking it to a local glass shop to have it separated, cleaned, and resealed.

I contacted Scott Pullin (GS VP of Operations) himself who said that is about the only recourse. According to Parkin, they do NOT supply windows to Gulf Stream, as Creation Windows once did.

I verified the manufacturer & type of glass by a very close, careful examination of the window. You will find an ectching in a corner. Not only does it identify the manufacturer (Creation Windows), but there should be a couple of codes (AS2 is automotive safety glass rated for side glass. M2 or M6 apparently mean additional stuff, but I don't know what. Actually, to read them, I illuminated the etch with a flashlight and snapped a macro digital picture.

I'd be interested if someone could identify GS's newer manufacturer. I'm guessing they are making the same size windows.

Thanks for bringing up this topic... I'm also looking to solve the problem, and not for $500 per window! That's obscene.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

I had the problem of the tall skinny window seal by the passenger seat going bad and had water in between the panes of glass. Last year while at the Back Home Rally the Gulf Stream techs looked at it. They found a window to replace it at the factory and gave it to me. I installed it myself.
It was a Creation window. I have kept the one I removed and if the one in the coach goes bad I plan on taking it to a local glass shop to see if the can remove the panes of glass and reseal it. If not then I will remove one of the panes and make it a single pane window.
The window was really easy to remove and install. Gulf Stream supplied the "D" bulb rubber seal to seal the window frame against the opening.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
03heritagerider

O.K. ACT #1

I got the window out last week (no easy task). Took it to an automotive glass dealer and they had it for a couple of days before calling to tell me they couldn't get it apart and were afraid of damaging the frame.

Dropped it off at another glass shop today...stay tuned...
Old 06-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
03heritagerider

Act #2

The second glass shop was unable to replace the glass with a single pane of safety glass. The gap in the frame was too large for a single pane. They said they had to send it out and have the double panes put back in and reseal it.

Here's the amazing part...They called today and said the window was done. Total cost $45.00

Quite the savings from the more than $500.00 for an OEM replacement.
If you can't get it done for the price that I paid, let me know. Even with shipping it could be still be worth it.

Trying to not get too excited yet. I'll pick it up tomorrow and check it out.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
03heritagerider

Window is in and looks great.

Like I said...$45.00 beats the heck out of $500-$600 for a replacement.

Glass tech told me that the leak happened where the frame was seamed together. Rubber seal around widow rotted and let moisture in. Then after a few freeze/thaw cycle, the moisture got into the seam between the panes. He told me to silicone the points where the seams are and all over the plates that hold the seams on the frame together before re-installing it. I also ran a bead of clear silicone around the outside of the frame where it meets the body.

Moral of the story...it can be done, and done cheaply!
Old 06-19-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
GStream40
Site Team

Great News!!
They can be repaired if one finds the right glass shop.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:17 AM   #8
Sandy’s motor home

Hello, we have a 1999 Glufstream . The jalousie windows need new rubber seals. Does anyone know where we can find them?
Sandy’s motor home is offline   Reply With Quote