Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
sudsguzzler

Default travel locks location?

I'm still fairly new to this RV thing and I have warning messages about securing the slide out travel locks, but I don't even know where these locks are? I have scoured the slideout and don't see anything that would secure the slideout. Perhaps the previous owner removed them or broke them off, but perhaps someone can give me a good idea where to look for them. I have an 06 Tourmaster T36.
sudsguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Arthur Hayes

These locks are large enough to be easily found. They are usually stored in a storage area. I keep mine in the storage area behind the sofa. Or the previous owner removed them from the coach entirely.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
sudsguzzler

Default travel locks

I have looked up travel locks online and I see now that they are basically a telescoping rod to hold the slideout closed. This may be a good idea as I just winterized my RV and after sitting for a week or so, the lower part of the slidout seems to have relaxed and came out about an inch or so. I don't know if this is common, but the locks would probably help with this as well to keep insects, rodents, and weather out during storage. One question I have is actually how many travel locks should someone use on a larger slideout? 4? one upper and one lower one each side? I see pics of people using them on the upper portion, but since the power for the slide comes from the bottom, I would think if you were only using two, you should locate them lower on the slide. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
CraigS

We bought our MH used and didn't find the travel locks for 6 months - they were under the dinette benches. Our locks are still in their original packaging and have never been used by the original owner or us.

The reason we don't use them: they create obscene amounts of damage if you forget to remove them. Until we have problems with slides moving, we have decided the risk of damage is too high.
2010 Ford Focus Toad
CraigS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
sudsguzzler

Default travel locks

Craig,

Thanks for your message. I do feel that I need to hold that slideout in for the Winter storage as it creeps out a bit while sitting. Not much, but probably enough for rodents, insects, etc. I'v decided to use them for storage only and then we only need to remember once per year in Spring to remove them. Thanks again for the help.

Dave
Old 10-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
Texas TC

I use mine to hold tables chairs, etc. in place in my storage bays. I also have one that I hang my water hoses and TV cable on. They are extremely handy but I have never used them for the purpose they were intended.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
larrybell

I use the travel locks, but I also keep the slideout switches covered with a red tag I made. The tag basically tells dumb old me not to try to extend the slideouts until I remove the locks.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:22 AM   #8
RayChez1

My coach never come with slide locks. I have hydraulic slides and have never had any problem creeping out. I do know that if you forget them on and if you try to extend the slide with them on, it would be disastrous. Lots of expensive damage.
Another thing is that on my coach even if you press on the button for the slide to go out, it will not move until I move the drivers seat all the way forward. By moving the seat all the way forward it then trips a safety switch where I can move the slide out.
So I don't need any red flag over the switch.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote