Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
porchracer1

Default super nova blown fuse

Hi folks. I'm new to your forum so please bare with me. I/ we just got a new to us 2008 super nova on Wed. I have encountered a problem with blowing the fuse that covers the bath room light and fan, plus the dinning light and the map or reading lights above the couch. I have narrowed it down to blowing the fuse when bringing the main slide in and just as it reaches the home position the fuse blows. Has anyone had this problem??? is there access to the wiring under or on top of the slide??? Also the right rear upper marker light is out. Are these lights able to change the light bulb or do I have to replace the complete light. Does the brake booster always make the noise when brakes are applied??? Thanks for any info that can be supplied. Looking forward to sharing experiences with all. Thanks again Rob. and co pilot Edna.[/img]
porchracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Texas TC

Personally, I have not had any fuse problems with any systems on my Nova.

I have not replaced a bulb for a rear marker light but I did on a front. It was sealed extremely well to keep it from leaking. I would suspect that a bulb is all you will need on the rear marker.

The brake booster does make a noise when the brakes are applied. It also makes a noise when the ignition key is initially turned on.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
porchracer1

Default reply

Thank you for your reply. I have been following your posts for some time while searching for a Nova. I was hopefull you would reply to my questions. I guess I'll try and follow wiring under the slide since the fuse blows just as the slide reaches it's home position. Again thanks. Rob.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
Texas TC

Which model did you get? That Information might help others with the same model diagnose your problem.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
porchracer1

Default Update>

Hey T.C the model is the 6331 I have since found the cause of the blown fuse. With the main slide out , by wiggle-ing the wires that supply power to the slide I found the spark and the fuse blew. The wires are routed thru the rack and exit at the back of the rack and just coil so the slide can move in and out. Some how the wires have been pinched and has torn the wire insulations . I'm now in the process of cutting the wires to get to the bad area. I'll then feed wires back thru the rack after insulating the reapair. I really think a better way would have been to attach wires to a low tension spring to keep wires free from moving parts. But that didn't happen so I'll mark on on some re engineering. Thanks for the interest and suggestions. The rear marker lites appear to be led and require complete replacement. Thanks again Rob.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
Georunner

When we bought our 6331, the outlet under the table did not work. I searched and searched for a reason. Finally, I found it. The cable underneath the slide out was ripped completely in two. When I saw that, it kind of scared me, could have shorted, caused a fire, electrified the frame, all kinds of bad stuff. I sliced in, I think 3 feet of 10 guage wire so I could route the whole thing where I thought it belonged.
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Texas TC

We are currently visiting the kids in Arizona. We had a good two day drive out from Texas. I thought I had encountered your problem because the light over the sink in the bathroom quit working. I looked at the fuses and could not find an issue. It turned out to be a ground wire at the fixture. Tightened the ground wire and all is fine. Whew!

Old 11-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
porchracer1

Default blown fuse/ main slide

Hey Tex. I have corrected the problem with my fuse blowing and light problem. Found that indeed the wire (12v) that run thru the slide had been pinched and the insulation was damaged exposing the bare wire. when returning slide to home position it would contact the slide blowing the fuse tape shrink wrap problem fixed. I did cut an access hole in the rack cover on the right side of motor home in the storage compartment. to add a spring tensionor but after watching the slide move in and out with the wires properly place nothing else was needed. Thanks to all that has offered assisstance and ideas the forum has already proven it's value. Tex have a safe trip and pleasant visit. Rob.